2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering column swap Btwn '99 & '95

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 04:10 PM
sprntpshr
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering column swap Btwn '99 & '95

Well I lost the ignition key to my '99 Ram 1500 and am wondering if there is any conflicts with the engine computer by using '95 Ram 1500 column. There is a key for the '95. The truck is used off-road but due to safety issues needs to have everything work properly.

sprntpshr

Old 05-16-2012, 04:18 PM
99ram360sport
Professional

when i locked my keys in my truck which is a 1999 dodge ram 1500 sport 5.9l i just went to the dodge dealer with my VIN number and they cut me a key right there on the spot for a whole 6 dollars. I asked the guy at the counter and he said they keep records of keys back until 1994. So you can probably just get the dealer to cut you a new one.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:25 PM
sprntpshr
Professional

Did they ask you for a VIN? or ID? I have the VIN, its just not going to be registered for the road and therefore no paper saying who it belongs to.

sprntpshr

Old 05-16-2012, 04:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

If it is titled in your name, that will be adequate to the task.

Also, you could pull the lock cylinder, and go to any locksmith, and they could cut you a key for it as well.

If you have an automatic trans, the 95 column won't have the switch for O/D off. I think that's the only difference. Might be a difference in the PRNDL as well... but, not sure on that.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:20 PM
sprntpshr
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If it is titled in your name, that will be adequate to the task.

Also, you could pull the lock cylinder, and go to any locksmith, and they could cut you a key for it as well.

If you have an automatic trans, the 95 column won't have the switch for O/D off. I think that's the only difference. Might be a difference in the PRNDL as well... but, not sure on that.
Sounds like getting the key made is the plan.I have the title so will head out to the dealer and get them made, cheap price about $12. Steering shaft is seized on the box input shaft since at one time it was a plow truck.

sprntpshr

Old 05-16-2012, 10:38 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My trucks ignition is so worn out I can start with random things lying around my truck.

I routinely pull my key out of the ignition while diving down the road to scare people.

It's also convenient on cold morning when you go to a gas station to get coffee and your truck aim warm yet so you want to leave it onto get warm. At the same time you don't want you truck to get stolen, or carry an extra set of keys(only leads to eventually locking yourself put with both keys inside the truck).

So you just pull the keys out an take em with you

Old 05-16-2012, 10:41 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My keys will come out as well. Worst problem, the ignition switch is not always in OFF position - letting battery run down......

Old 05-16-2012, 10:48 PM
Ham Bone
Champion

Originally Posted by gdstock
My keys will come out as well. Worst problem, the ignition switch is not always in OFF position - letting battery run down......
Mine still beeps when that happens. I always make sure it's off but if someone else drives my truck half the time it's like you said and not completely off

Old 05-16-2012, 10:52 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The chime is the only thing that saves my bacon when this happens....and NOBODY drives my truck(s).....

Old 05-16-2012, 10:57 PM
Ham Bone
Champion

Originally Posted by gdstock
The chime is the only thing that saves my bacon when this happens....and NOBODY drives my truck(s).....
My dad does it, and he drove it since he bought and gave it to me two years ago.

My uncle occasionally borrows it to go to the dump with a load. It always has less gas has after he drives it.

Before I got my license my grandpa used to pick me up in it sometimes and he would do it too

Quick Reply: Steering column swap Btwn '99 & '95