2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 10:44 AM
98Ramboy
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A/C Issues

A year and a half ago, we replaced the A/C compressor because of a bad bearing on the pulley. When we replaced the compressor, we added the correct oil per the manual and the correct amount, rotated the compressor by hand a few turns to make sure it was lubricated well, brought the truck to a service station to have the system recharged. After the system was recharged, it worked fine the entire summer. Now, this spring, I noticed the A/C system was not working. I noticed no pressure on the high pressure side so I thought that there may be a leak in the system. I brought the truck in to the same shop, they recharged the system and checked for leaks. No leaks were noted. The system worked fine for approximately 5 minutes, then the compressor seized up. We brought the truck home and checked it again, and noticed again, the system worked fine for about 5 minutes and the compressor started to seize.

I'm wondering if we could add more oil to the compressor, if that would solve the problem, seems to work fine for a little while. Also, I did not change the dryer. Could that have caused the failure of the compressor?

What I would like to do is change the dryer, add the required oil for the dryer, and a little extra for the compressor with the hopes that a little extra oil in the system will prevent the compressor from seizing so I can avoid buying another compressor.

Any thoughts?

Old 05-20-2012, 10:56 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Just to clear things up a bit here, what do you mean by "seizing"? If the compressor is locking up, the damage is already done, and it's time for a new one. If it runs fine for a few minutes, and then the clutch simply disengages, that's a pressure problem.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:08 AM
98Ramboy
Professional

Yes the compressor stops. But if I let it sit for awhile it will work again. I am hoping that a little extra oil will keep it going for awhile since it is not seized completely.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Question is, why is it stopping. If it's actually binding up, the belt should start SCREAMING about it..... is that actually happening? If it is, no amount of oil is going to fix that.....

I feel your pain though. Gonna be in the 90's here today. My A/C doesn't work at all. (large leak in the system.....)

Old 05-20-2012, 11:37 AM
gdstock
Legend

Did you replace the drier and the orifice? Suspect leak may be in core. Not much way anyone can leak check that without removing dash.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:20 PM
98Ramboy
Professional

No, we didn't change the drier and the orifice last time. Yes, we know the compressor stops because the belt starts squealing.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Time for a new compressor then.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:34 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Time for a new compressor then.

+1 on new compressor. But you need to find out what toasted that compressor. Is it still under warranty?

Anytime a compressor or condenser is changed, one needs to change the drier (accumulator) and the orifice. Orifice has small screen, and traps imputities. Junk accumulates in drier. Usually, warranty will not be honored without changeing drier at least. This normally applies to compressors and condensers. Compared to cost of compressor, drier and orifice are cheap.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:53 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

It may still be low, that's one problem, when it shuts off and squeals that could simply be the clutch, another problem. Which is replaceable btw. Depends on where the noise is, inside the compressor or outside.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:39 AM
98Ramboy
Professional

From what it looks like, I think the compressor just needs to be changed. I know what you're talking about, zman, with the whole clutch issue. We've got a '94 Shadow which has a bad clutch and it squeals a lot whenever the A/C runs because of it.

Quick Reply: A/C Issues