2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Intermittent Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 05:11 PM
2000ramsport
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Intermittent Transmission Problem

my tranny for the last 4 months has been shifting to slow and sometimes to fast and slow speeds 20 to 30 mph.it only does it 50 percent of the time.but last night it shifted so slow i thought i was going to get stuck.i brought it to a tranny shop about 3 months ago and all they did was test drive it on the highway and it didnt do anything and they told me nothings wrong but there is.what would make my tranny shift to slow?and then maybe 10 percent of the time it shifts to fast..im guessing it needs a rebuild but the guy at the tranny shop wont take it apart unless it doesnt shift right when he test drives it and it doesnt do it all the time.last time he said there was no codes showed up when he scanned it.what does this soundlike to you?my truck has about 101k on it.i checked the tranny fluid it looks fine doesnt smell burnt at all and its up to the right level.today when i drove down a hill it did the same thing shifted to slow and i can hear it under the truck making a slow shifting sound.anyone?

Last edited by 2000ramsport; 05-20-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:55 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you checked fluid level, did you have it in neutral?

Check with a scanner that can read trans info if you can. Some issues do not light the CEL. Drop pan and see what it looks like inside.

When you say it shifts slow or fast, does it seem to slip, or just not shift when you think it should?

Might check band adjustmsnet to be sure they are good, and check press sensor and gov solenoid for anything obstructing the flow.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:34 AM
2000ramsport
Professional

ok how do you ccheck the band adjustmsnet ?i dont have a scanner that reads trans info wouldnt mind having one if i knew where to buy one?anyway it seems like it slips real slow.also another thing the tranny did this last time was make a grinding sound it never did that before.guess ill have to bring it back to a tranny shop again ugh.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Computer doesn't know about bands..... Just need to do the mechanical adjustment, and call it good. Technically, it's a maintenance thing ever 30K-100K miles, depending on how you use the truck.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:51 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Computer doesn't know about bands..... Just need to do the mechanical adjustment, and call it good. Technically, it's a maintenance thing ever 30K-100K miles, depending on how you use the truck.

This is true, but the right scanner can provide other info - such as pressures, TCC lockup, etc.

Band adjustment info can be found in downloadable service manual in FAQ/DIY section (thought I mentioned that).

Make sure you use the torque wrench! Inch pounds.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:34 PM
2000ramsport
Professional

I called a tranny shop (ammco) they said they would do a pressure test.if I have them adjust the bands and I know they were never done before from the owner before me any clue on what that would cost ?anyway it doesn't seem as if any tranny shop wants to do anything like adjust the bands unless its slipping really bad seems like they cant be bothered.wouldn't mind learning how to do it myself.why don't tranny shops ever recommend to have the bands adjusted?cant be that hard for them to do.

Last edited by 2000ramsport; 05-21-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:38 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000ramsport
I called a tranny shop (ammco) they said they would do a pressure test.if I have them adjust the bands and I know they were never done before from the owner before me any clue on what that would cost ?anyway it doesn't seem as if any tranny shop wants to do anything like adjust the bands unless its slipping really bad seems like they cant be bothered.wouldn't mind learning how to do it myself.
I highly suggest you find a different tranny shop. And that you do not attempt adjusting the bands yourself.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:57 PM
johnnyjaws98
Veteran

shops 2 day dont want to fix anything they just want to replace parts if they adjust the bands it might run worse and they dont want anyone complaining i did my band adjustments and my truck ran much! better

Old 05-21-2012, 07:50 PM
2000ramsport
Professional

yeah I know what you mean well I really dont want to mess with it im getting it checked this week so ill ask them about the band.I just one band right not 2?

Old 05-21-2012, 10:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

2 bands.

Ammco is going to tell you your trans needs rebuilt, whether it really does or not...... Need to find a REAL trans shop, with a good rep.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Transmission Problem