2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

::WARNING:: For anyone wanting cheap ball joints, Don't do it..

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 10:04 PM
ramitt360
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks

Old 05-27-2012, 01:14 AM
Johnny2Bad
Professional

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
Amen to that...especially in todays world where the same product comes off the same assembly line and packaged and sold under ten different brand names with 20 different prices.... and then companies just buy big names like Timken, autolite , peak and the like are selling low quality subcontracted foreign crap while still charging higher prices that once were a result of higher quality... At least theres no false pretenses when I buy off brands online...

I Look for "meets or exceeds OEM manufacturers specifications"...
Timken has three factories in the US.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:12 AM
DK-v1
Professional

Originally Posted by Johnny2Bad
Timken has three factories in the US.

If I'm not mistaken, Timken was just bought out by some foreign company. However, they are still selling off all their old stock.

Next time I see their rep at work, I'll ask him again (specifically) what he said.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Timken sold off their needle-bearing branch back in 09, to a Japanese firm, but, that's about all I can find.......

Old 05-27-2012, 09:18 PM
ramitt360
Professional

Oh that's great..

Old 05-27-2012, 10:41 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ramitt360
Oh that's great..
Provided the plant produces quality the Japanese are known for, that's a good thing.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:48 AM
DK-v1
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Timken sold off their needle-bearing branch back in 09, to a Japanese firm, but, that's about all I can find.......
This was recently. Idk, just remember hearing it a few months back.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:11 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I was also told Timken has been bought out.a local race shop told me their quality is nothing like it was 5 years ago

I was told much of thier bearing and seal line are now subcontracted and they are working on closing up remaining factories and finding new subcontractors to manufactur the bearings and seals so they can sell them under the timken name at a higher profit like much of thier product line already is... I think the company that owns them is a international bearing giant and would rather continue selling the higher quality stuff under thier own name but I'm not sure.. it was like 2 years ago I read about all this when having my rear differetial rebuilt.

It the same old story happened to other big companies... The suits and stock holders get rich selling the company, its dismantled and its employees laid off while the new owners get rich smearing a good companies reputation with sanctioned knock products.... just like what honeywell did with autolite, fram and peak and the like..... ever notice even harbor freight sells peak now? actually all your Chinese distributors seem to carry it now (like dollar general and the like)..The same discount stores that sold the colgate toothpaste they found mercury in that was made in china...
It happened with other super compaines like levis jeans, and IBM.... and I lot of people still think those companies make thier own products.... (IBM is made by Levenno or something to the sort is now owned mainly by the Chinese government and the products are now all made there as well) levis are made by some company in Egypt that bought the logo and trademark when levis went bankrupt.

HP is also in the process of closing most of its factories in spain and outsourcing to third party companies in china and Malaysia...
One has to really do thier homework these days not to be taken by the new business tactics of third world subcontracted products..

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 05-28-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:59 PM
ramitt360
Professional

precisely why I said ohh great.. I didn't want to get started on another raid so I left it alone. There are huge things going on behind the scenes, conspiracies?.. At least the U.S. still produces our own food right? I'm not old enough to have lived then but, anyone can look back and see how productive this nation was pre WWII and some time after.. what happened?

Old 05-29-2012, 07:26 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ramitt360
what happened?
Export ended. Import took over.

Quick Reply: ::WARNING:: For anyone wanting cheap ball joints, Don't do it..