2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Unexpected HUGE fuel economy gain.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 11:50 PM
mccart
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always bought the cheapest 87 octane gas I can find. Dont matter where but now I might try certain places for a period of time each and test my mileage. I'll look at the ethanol percentage in the gasses too

Old 05-27-2012, 05:41 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i buy all my gas at shell and there was just a new shell gas station open even closer to where i live that i will be filling up at from now on.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:51 AM
plott hound
Professional

the next fill up for me will be at shell.gonna try some v-power,supposed to contain no ethanol.i always fill up at costco because its 4-5 cents a liter cheaper. so we shall see what the difference in fuel is.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:56 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Relex
As far as I know Sheetz is just a Pennsylvania thing. A couple guys at work claim sheetz gas has a lot of ethanol in it. Another friend of mine switched gas in his golf and says his gas mileage went up 6mpg.

I've been using sheetz gas since I've been 16 (now 24) and wished i would have switched sooner.
Sheetz is also in Virginia. I've heard nothing good about their water...I mean gasoline.

Actually got a job at a brand new Sheetz, but turned it down.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:49 AM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

There are 3 companies that deliver fuel to all the gas stations around our county-we're a huge county, if we were a state, we'd be bigger than 7 states. Anyway, the same truck that delivers to Chevron, delivers to Shell, then delivers to CircleK, then to Fry's(Kroger), then to the mom and pop, and so on. But even when I lived up in Idaho, there was a gas line that ran up from Salt Lake City to the Boise fuel depot where all of the companies got their gas. I put an application in for a truck driving job and the boss told me everyone has the same gas. The only difference is things like Chevron will add their "techron", but that, because of emission laws, is pretty much identical to what Shell and 7-11 and everyone else adds. But the gas and blend of fuel and ethanol is identical because it is the same gas from the same gas line. I would be shocked if it were any different anywhere else.

Last edited by mantisman51; 05-27-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:46 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mantisman51
There are 3 companies that deliver fuel to all the gas stations around our county-we're a huge county, if we were a state, we'd be bigger than 7 states. Anyway, the same truck that delivers to Chevron, delivers to Shell, then delivers to CircleK, then to Fry's(Kroger), then to the mom and pop, and so on. But even when I lived up in Idaho, there was a gas line that ran up from Salt Lake City to the Boise fuel depot where all of the companies got their gas. I put an application in for a truck driving job and the boss told me everyone has the same gas. The only difference is things like Chevron will add their "techron", but that, because of emission laws, is pretty much identical to what Shell and 7-11 and everyone else adds. But the gas and blend of fuel and ethanol is identical because it is the same gas from the same gas line. I would be shocked if it were any different anywhere else.
Exxon mobil
Chevron/Shell
Conoco/Phillips
Hess
Valero

Everyone does not have the same gas, but the refineries all refine the gas the same way, it is chemistry. However, I only know for a fact that valero refines its own oil (owned stock in valero).

BUT you are correct with the additives. My father in law owns an Esso in Canada (that is exxon). He says always buy name brand gas because they treat the fuel and lesser cheapie gas places don;t treat their fuel. He only gave me the warning because of getting stale gas, or unstable (bad) gas due to water absorption and being stale.

Valero is the largest refining gas company in the US. I believ Mobil refines their own gas.

The easiest thing to do is figure out how many refineries there are and who they supply. I don;t think there are many companies that refine their own crude that you buy at the pump.

I know Hess explores for their own oil, but am unsure they also refine it.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:07 PM
dlyter09
Champion

I got a few bad tanks of gas from sheetz. Once in my jeep and once in my Cobra... Never went there again for gas. Now i get it from the Valero all the time and have been happy with it since.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:15 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
Exxon mobil
Chevron/Shell
Conoco/Phillips
Hess
Valero

Everyone does not have the same gas, but the refineries all refine the gas the same way, it is chemistry. However, I only know for a fact that valero refines its own oil (owned stock in valero).

BUT you are correct with the additives. My father in law owns an Esso in Canada (that is exxon). He says always buy name brand gas because they treat the fuel and lesser cheapie gas places don;t treat their fuel. He only gave me the warning because of getting stale gas, or unstable (bad) gas due to water absorption and being stale.

Valero is the largest refining gas company in the US. I believ Mobil refines their own gas.

The easiest thing to do is figure out how many refineries there are and who they supply. I don;t think there are many companies that refine their own crude that you buy at the pump.

I know Hess explores for their own oil, but am unsure they also refine it.
As I said, it might be different elsewhere, but in Idaho and Arizona, it all is the from the same pipe and goes to the same fuel depot and then additives are put in to the exact same gas.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:16 PM
Vajazzle

RageGuy, you have a 5.9L and you are getting 500K out of a tank of gas, the equivalent of roughly 341 miles?! Do you do mostly highway driving? I have a 5.9L and the other day I got record mileage out of a full tank which was 290.5 miles. I usually average around 260 miles to a full tank, which is about 11 mpg. I have a CAI with a clean filter and I never stomp on the gas or anything really. I usually drive 12 miles to work and back averaging 40-55 mph. Does anyone else get this bad of fuel mileage or is this something I need to change on my truck that is killing the gas mileage? By the way, I always fill up with unleaded 89 (not sure of the ethanol content) and lately I've been adding in fuel injector cleaner in every tank.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:20 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

Matter of fact, I was just talking with my wife and about 3 years ago the gasoline pipeline was damaged in Tucson and all the gas station raised their prices 20-30¢ a gallon instantly and that is when the news interviewed the gas lines owner-I believe it was someone from Chevron-and he explained how EVERY SINGLE GAS COMPANY got their gas to distribute in Arizona from that gas line, except a few stations close to SoCal and New Mexico.

Quick Reply: Unexpected HUGE fuel economy gain.