2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Here Are The Results "TRUTH"

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 04:58 AM
whicker99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Here Are The Results "TRUTH"

ok i have a 1999 4x4 5.2 Sport Ram Stock....no Lifts. I just bought 4 new tires they were Copper Discover A/T 285/75/16 i had 265/75/16 on the truck. the new tires are what i call in between OFFROAD/On Road tires becasue they have a pretty aggressive tread but not like a MUD rated tire. At full turn they DO rub just a little bit. so just to clear everybody up on that size tire on my type of truck they will rub just a little bit at full turn both LEFT and RIGHT. Just thought that was handy to know since i have seen SO MANY people on here talking about 285/75/16 size tires and half people say they will NOT rub and other half say they WILL rub!! oh and by the way i was wondering what u people think about those cheap Front spring spacers i see on EBAY that will bring the front of your truck up 2 inches so its level with the Rear. i HATE that my truck is not level and i just want a quick cheap fix to level the truck out, thanks!

Old 08-18-2005, 09:22 AM
zeekxxx
Captain
Default RE: Here Are The Results "TRUTH"

After much reading Im going for the 2 inch leveling kit made from steel not any nylon or what ever they use. I see them in the latest JCwhitney.com catalog and all over ebay.

I was going to get springs like everyone suggested but god forbid I dont like the ride after the kit is in - I can yank it out and goto stock ride again. Plus I found them for a good price.

So

Springs ordered from summit racing.com would be better but spacers will work and Id say buy the steel ones.

Im sure if anyone had issues with the steel ones they will chime in this post

good luck

Old 08-18-2005, 10:36 AM
Two60s98
Professional

Whicker - Are these tires mounted on stock rims? Just wanted to make sure the backspacing is known in this debate stopper.

I have 285/75R16s on American racing wheels (BS escapes my brain at the moment) and I don't rub unless I hit a pretty good sized bump at full turn. I did rub w/ 35" rubber (plastic wheel-well liners). Now there may still be a debate on whether my rig has any lift on it, but I'm certain it doesn't (HD springs w/ dealer P/N stickers on them, and snow plow prep group). '98 2500 4x4

Old 08-19-2005, 12:29 AM
whicker99

Two60s98 - i have a 1500 stock rims. i notice u have after market rims and a 2500...not sure if that makes a difference or not but my tires do rub just a little like i said at full turn. i do have a question though, i see that ZEEKXXX was going to a larger tire then what i have he was going to a 305/70/16 which i can't understand how they will not rub?? becasue the tire is much wider then a 285 i know his tire won't be as tall as mine but i don't think thats why it rubs and he has no lifts?? i would still like to go bigger

Old 08-19-2005, 01:17 PM
zeekxxx
Captain

ORIGINAL: whicker99

Two60s98 - i have a 1500 stock rims. i notice u have after market rims and a 2500...not sure if that makes a difference or not but my tires do rub just a little like i said at full turn. i do have a question though, i see that ZEEKXXX was going to a larger tire then what i have he was going to a 305/70/16 which i can't understand how they will not rub?? becasue the tire is much wider then a 285 i know his tire won't be as tall as mine but i don't think thats why it rubs and he has no lifts?? i would still like to go bigger
Im going john wayne style

Im installing the tires and then seeing what else I need to buy.

I have the offroad edition so its lifted from the factory and I am going to level it out in front by 2 inches.

If something rubs then Im going to do something with steering stops.

Ordered the tires from summitracing so now its just a matter of waiting...

See ya

O I also ran the numbers on a metric tire converter and I get the following

285/75/16 = 32.8 section width of 11.2 and section height of 8.4
305/70/16 = 32.8 section width of 12 and section height of 8.4

So we are really only looking at about an inch or about 4/10ths of an inch of rubber on each side of the tire that might rub...

With the leveling kit I can move the plastic fenders up and away 2 inches and that just leaves me with a few scary looking bolts coming out of the brake area. Rest assured I dont expect a perfect fit but I will expect it to clear. Now I dont know if I need to buy some steering stops or If there are some under there but I will look into that next.

Ill post up all my info once they get on the truck.....

later

Old 08-19-2005, 01:59 PM
jay6ird
Rookie

I am going to get the Cooper Discover A/T 285/75/16 also for my 2001 sport. Mine does not seem to be lower in the front. Is the 99 and 2001 differant enough that the Discover A/T 285/75/16 will not rub on mine (stock aluminum rims)?

Old 08-22-2005, 02:21 PM
Trippen
Professional

Mine rub Stock Rims no lift BF Goodrich 285/75/R16 122/119 M+S .... Lock to Lock they rub... Maybe Tire Brand so I posted my tire brand

Old 08-22-2005, 06:28 PM
Dodge4x4810
Veteran

I have 305/70/16 and they do rub, but just barely. It is only when i turn the wheel all the way to the right and left. But its not really a problem because i rarely need to turn it that much.

Old 08-23-2005, 04:13 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no 'truth'.

You do know that no two tires are the same size right? Within a product they're fairly uniform, but between different tire lines and certainly different manufacturers tires can vary by an inch or more. You have to take the sidewall stamp for size as an estimate - they'll be pretty close. That's why you never want to use just the numbers when getting your speedo altered, you want to physically drive it and count off the mile markers. Drive 10 miles on the freeway and see how many miles your odo advances, then repeat going back. Then do the math from there.

So one 35 might fit while another might not.

Old 08-23-2005, 10:30 AM
zeekxxx
Captain

ORIGINAL: horatio102

There is no 'truth'.

You do know that no two tires are the same size right? Within a product they're fairly uniform, but between different tire lines and certainly different manufacturers tires can vary by an inch or more. You have to take the sidewall stamp for size as an estimate - they'll be pretty close. That's why you never want to use just the numbers when getting your speedo altered, you want to physically drive it and count off the mile markers. Drive 10 miles on the freeway and see how many miles your odo advances, then repeat going back. Then do the math from there.

So one 35 might fit while another might not.
hehe man your doing it the hard way counting signs. I'd use my gps. Or chances are you can borrow one from a buddy. But I get your point. Tires can vary sizes a tad. And your springs can sag lowering your lift as they age. Ect.. Id say buy what you want and if you have some rub lift it or figure out how to install/ use steering stops.

Quick Reply: Here Are The Results "TRUTH"