2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Diffrent sized tires for spare?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 03:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

You have efan's, so, blocking cooling flow is less of an issue.

Putting it on top of the camper probably wouldn't be a good idea..... your assessment of "heavy up high is a no-no" is right on the money. Trying to get it up there would be another fun exercise.... down wouldn't be so bad, so long as it doesn't bounce away when you toss it off.

Maybe mount something to the back of the camper??

Old 05-28-2012, 04:40 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

lol. didn't think of the fun of taking it off the top of the camper. The back would be perfect probably except you'd have to have a place for it when the camper isn't on.

A front bumper spare tire mount might be the type of thing that could be an added accessory to a custom front bumper like I might want to be getting one day. and you wouldn't have to swap it out when putting the camper on.

The fact I now think my current spare solution may not be optimal may push my bumper buying priorities up a notch or two. Dang I'm poor

Old 05-28-2012, 05:57 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

In the rare chance you even need the spare you could just use it on the front where theirs no lsd or locker.... there no reason it has to be the same size if 4wd isnt being used.... remember the dounut spares for most cars are much smaller than the regular tires, its actually kinda wasteful carrying the extra weight of an oversized spare around.... I dont even have a spare in my truck...mine was missing when I bought the truck and I havent gotten around to getting one yet...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 05-28-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
In the rare chance you even need the spare you could just use it on the front where theirs no lsd or locker.... there no reason it has to be the same size if 4wd isnt being used.... remember the dounut spares for most cars are much smaller than the regular tires, its actually kinda wasteful carrying the extra weight of an oversized spare around.... I dont even have a spare in my truck...mine was missing when I bought the truck and I havent gotten around to getting one yet...
That sounds awful familiar.......

Old 05-28-2012, 07:29 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would not drive without a spare, and I don't even like tires that don't match (although there are 4 different tires on my Ram - out of 5). But I was surprised that they are the same size.

Mine are 265, and there isn't much room for anything much larger under there. A front bumper mount would probably be fine as HeyYou mentioned, but I think I would set it several inches away from grill - as much as I could get by with, to allow air to flow around it. I think that would be less restrictive than a spoked wheel maybe.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:50 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I was thinking the same thing about spacing it away from the grill might allow better flow. Might end up being the hot setup for me.

if I ever found and procured true spoke wheels for my truck that truly were up to the task I'd have to put up with the flow problems from the spare I think. spokes would be so cool.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:53 PM
gdstock
Legend

Pick up a set of spinners in the hood - that would help airflow!......

Old 05-28-2012, 11:05 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
Pick up a set of spinners in the hood - that would help airflow!......
Just read your signature...I wonder if them rangers can sot after the way we spanked em.Lol but hey if your ever up this way&ya still need a spare,Ive got a brand new bfg wrangler 265/75/16&4 falkens.About 50%..&thanks to everyone for there help

Last edited by cutthroatxxx; 05-28-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:20 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by cutthroatxxx
Just read your signature...I wonder if them rangers can sot after the way we spanked em.Lof but hey of your ever up this way&ya still need a spare,Ive got a brand new bfg wrangler 265/75/16&4 falkens.About 50%..&thanks to everyone for there help

Rangers are good - 2 games ahead of closest American League teams (Baltimore and Tampa Bay) and 7 games up on Angles!

Old 05-29-2012, 07:15 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

just my opinion, but i would not mount the spare anywhere other than the stock location. i would get the largest tire that fits in that spot, and be done with it.

as said above, if you have an LSD in the rear and concerns about clutches, in the event of a flat in the rear, you could do a double swap, moving a front to the rear and put the odd size on the front.

Quick Reply: Diffrent sized tires for spare?