2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

transmission cooler leaks

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 12:03 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission cooler leaks

Ok i tracked down the leak on my cooler to the connection. It is leaking from the line that enters on the passenger side of the cooler. I expected to see some sort of quick connect fitting but i dont. it just looks like a hard line with no connectors. What are my options to stop this leak?

Old 06-03-2012, 12:28 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There has to be a connector. The line screws into the radiator itself. Is this where it is leaking? Use a tubing wrench. Clean with brake cleaner around the area and look to see if it is the welded fitting that is leaking. If that's the case, radiator will need replaced. I think it is a 14 or 15mm wrench.

Can you post a photo?

Old 06-03-2012, 05:15 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

its leaking from the aux cooler. previous owner bypassed the radiator, guessing the transmission has been rebuilt. The lines going into the cooler are hard lines with no connectors, appears to be brazed on. I think ill just clean it up good and put some jb weld on it for now.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:45 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Some pics would be nice. And JB is not going to work.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:51 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

yeah i tried to get some pics but its to tight of an area to get the phone in there. I dont want to pull it out cause it seems i will have to unhook the a/c condensor to do so and ill lose my freon.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Swamprunner
Amateur

You don't have to pull your condenser., Jest unbolt, and GENTLY move it forward. When I installed my monster Hayden, I took the trans discharge line from the radiator, and using fitting I cobbled together from NAPA, ran it into the cooler, then back to the trans. I have pulled some awesome loads, and other than a little torque converter shudder when pulling these loads, my trans is still living after 250K +. Also, install a drain plug in your trans pan. best thing I ever did.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:18 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

+1.. And I want pics. LOL Use a flashlight and snap the pic, no excuses.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:22 PM
gdstock
Legend

If someone jacked up the trans cooler in the radiator, I would replace the radiator. If you can'd/don't want to replace it, get an aftermarket tranny cooler and bypass the readiator all together.

And +1 on pics!

Old 06-03-2012, 06:39 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

the radiator has already been bypassed. I think im going to just buy a new cooler and cut the hard lines then use some rubber line and clamps to install the new one. I pulled the condensor loose but cant get it to move far enough out of the way due to the hard freon lines. But im thinking that if i take the radiator loose then i will have enough room to slide it out.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:57 PM
gdstock
Legend

I am a little confused (a pic would make it clear). So your trans fluid doe not go to the radiator?

So it goes to an aftermarket cooler already?

Here is waht an aftermarket installation looks like. Condenser does not need to move, but it you remove bolts at the top, you can move it forward a good inch or so.

Name:  RamnewACcond.jpg
Views: 1883
Size:  222.3 KB

Quick Reply: transmission cooler leaks