2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 Rebuild on the cheap: Now Just Empty Every Pocket build.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 04:19 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

Merc,
Why do you suggest I don't go thru HiPo Tek or Hughes Engines for a cam? Is there a problem with these companies?

Here is the spec's on what I am trying to do: Engine is going into a Jeep Wrangler with a weight of about 5,000lbs. (I know it is a porker)
Jeep has auto tranny, 5.13 gears, STaK's 3speed transfer case ( 1.1 High, 3.05 Low & 5.44 Low 2) Block hugger headers with cat & 2 1/2" exhaust. Running 38" tires.

Engine so far: stock lower end, stock compression. When this build started all I was planning on doing was rering, replace bearings on mains & rods. Was just going to run stock cam but I have some extra funds.
Odessa monster heads w/2.02 int & 1.62 ext, HS RR w/1.7 ratio, 25-26lbs injectors, 52mm Fastman TB. I think that is about it at this point. I have a PCM tuned by B&G and also have a stock PCM that I plan to use with a tuner from Hemifever.

So fire away with your suggestions for a cam.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:05 AM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
Merc,
Why do you suggest I don't go thru HiPo Tek or Hughes Engines for a cam? Is there a problem with these companies?

Here is the spec's on what I am trying to do: Engine is going into a Jeep Wrangler with a weight of about 5,000lbs. (I know it is a porker)
Jeep has auto tranny, 5.13 gears, STaK's 3speed transfer case ( 1.1 High, 3.05 Low & 5.44 Low 2) Block hugger headers with cat & 2 1/2" exhaust. Running 38" tires.

Engine so far: stock lower end, stock compression. When this build started all I was planning on doing was rering, replace bearings on mains & rods. Was just going to run stock cam but I have some extra funds.
Odessa monster heads w/2.02 int & 1.62 ext, HS RR w/1.7 ratio, 25-26lbs injectors, 52mm Fastman TB. I think that is about it at this point. I have a PCM tuned by B&G and also have a stock PCM that I plan to use with a tuner from Hemifever.

go with this cam..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-20-745-9

its the same cam i have, and i also have 1.7rr's it has a nice lopey idle, and is an extremely tq'y cam for the 360.

you can have a look thru my thread, and gain some very good info on there.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ld-thread.html

i also stayed with the stock bottom end, and went with odessa heads, cam, m1 intake, 50mm tb, and longtubes.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:29 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Wildman,

Awesome you are still on this. I had to rescan your thread a bit to get recapped.

With your update...your thread title is misleading.... "... on the Cheap (NOT)".

I'm not going to push any cam choice w/o some further info. Really would like to know your philosophy on the changes since the start of the thread. Good bit of coin going in to this thing. Could you recap what you "already" have and what you are looking to pickup? Is it only the cam that your looking to pickup?

Stock cam for a 5K lb porker is nothing. Meaning it can work it with lots of margin.

Did I read write that you are running 44re tranny?

Oh and is this going to be driven on the street too?

Other things that come to mind from an observation would be your gas useage on the trails. I can't say what kind you run up there, but for me down here there's alot of idling. Couple times I've had to consider refueling needs with Jerry Cans.

If I were to suggest anything even with limited knowledge of your scenario, then I'd consider mods that are tried and true (vetted) for your anticipated application.

Keep it coming!

Merc,

Old 03-29-2013, 06:41 PM
joshmopar
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just read the whole thread. Glad your still updating and gettin work done

Old 03-29-2013, 08:00 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

Well yes in some ways my thread title has not turned out to be so true. I started this build planing on just trying to rebuild the short block with stock parts. I had already bought the Odessa heads and Air Gap intake so I wasn't counting the cost of those parts. I already had the 52mm TB that I was running on the 5.2 in the Jeep.

As for fuel I have a custom 25 gallon tank from Gen-Right so most times I don't have any issues with fuel. I do bring fuel with me to the campground and refill the Jeep every night. Yes you did read right that right now I am running a 44RE tranny. Once I get the engine built then I am going to start looking for a new tranny to put into the Jeep. And yes I am going to drive it on the street but most of the time it is trailed to the trail.

Name:  jamehte-R1-025-11.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  115.8 KB

I don't have any pictures of the Jeep on the trailer behind the motorhome.

Forgot to answer your one question, Yes all I am going to replace is the cam, lifters, & pushrods. I had planned on just running the stock cam but I have a little extra funds right now so why not do a cam while I have the enigine tore down.

Attached Thumbnails 5.9 Rebuild on the cheap: Now Just Empty Every Pocket build.-jamehte-r1-029-13_1.jpg  

Last edited by Wildman4x4nut; 03-29-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:31 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Love it when replies come with pics!!

Thanks for filling in the blanks for me, even if they were declared. I'm not meaning to be critical at all. You know your way around the tools and using them. I just like to figure where someone's (new) baseline is and where they are looking to be. It evolves, no doubt about it! Not a bad thing, in general.

Agreed that since you are already "there" for the camshaft, just get at it!! You've certainly got all the other complimentary mods and most importantly being ready with PCM/tunes.

I look forward to your roll out!

Old 03-29-2013, 09:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Love it when replies come with pics!!

Thanks for filling in the blanks for me, even if they were declared. I'm not meaning to be critical at all. You know your way around the tools and using them. I just like to figure where someone's (new) baseline is and where they are looking to be. It evolves, no doubt about it! Not a bad thing, in general.

Agreed that since you are already "there" for the camshaft, just get at it!! You've certainly got all the other complimentary mods and most importantly being ready with PCM/tunes.

I look forward to your roll out!
That is more commonly know as "Scope Creep"...... Ask gdstock about that, he is WAY to familiar with it....

Old 03-30-2013, 12:21 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

Here is my first trip out with my Jeep back when I bought it in 2002.

Name:  funnyrock.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  45.4 KB

Put a dent in the drivers door on that trip too. Hadn't even sent in the first payment on it yet either.

Here it is after I got back from Iraq doing the engine swap.

Name:  wildman1.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  56.3 KB

My daughter helping me work on the Jeep. She is almost 11 now and it is harder to get her to come help but every now and then she still does come help.

Name:  IMGP2694.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  127.7 KB

The 52mm when I got it from Fastman.

I got some other pictures and a video I'll post later. I am going to work on the engine tomorrow and install all the new bearings. So once I get the crank and rods done I'll stop til I figure out the what cam I'm going to get. Of course I'll take pictures as I am working.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:28 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That is more commonly know as "Scope Creep"...... Ask gdstock about that, he is WAY to familiar with it....

This is soooooo true! And it is happening again on the Bel Air. Just hard to shake that bug!

My daughter helping me work on the Jeep. She is almost 11 now and it is harder to get her to come help but every now and then she still does come help.

I used to love having my boys help work on trucks. (even losing a few tools now and then...). Wish the grandkids lived closer!

Old 03-30-2013, 02:02 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

Okay here are a few videos for you to enjoy. This one is a little loud because the Jeep is right next to my house and garage so the sound is bounching off stuff. This is the suspension system I have on the Jeep. Air bags replace the coil springs, it is an awesome ride plus with my bad leg I can lower it down to make it easier for me to get into and out of. On the trail the system works GREAT.

This is just me fooling around climbing a tree.

So that is it for tonight. I posted up enough pictures. I'm sure your all getting bored looking at my Jeep. I know it isn't a Dodge Ram 2nd gen but it does have a 2nd gen engine and tranny in it.

Quick Reply: 5.9 Rebuild on the cheap: Now Just Empty Every Pocket build.