2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Code 54?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 10:47 PM
blh4645
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Code 54?

I have a 97 Ram 1500 and my engine light came on. The code I got was 54 No fuel sync (camshaft signal) detected during engine crank. No camshaft position sensor signal was received from the distributor. Problem with the distributor synchronization circuit

Can anyone tell me exactly what part I need to replace?

It runs fine so I’m guessing it’s just a bad sensor.

Is the Camshaft sensor located in the distributor cap? If I replace the cap will that fix the issue?

Thanks for your help.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:20 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Cam sensor is under the rotor. Just replacing the cap won't fix it. Check the wiring first.... make sure it isn't something simple. If it runs fine though, I am real curious why it is whining about the cam sensor.... as it needs that input to decide which injector to fire.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:21 PM
sam_priem
Veteran

check fuel sync.
i had the same codes and my engine ran somewhat decent. not terrible but bad enough to tell something was wrong. the fuel sync was 13 degrees advanced. i would check that before throwing parts at it trying to get lucky.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:52 PM
blh4645

Originally Posted by sam_priem
check fuel sync.
i had the same codes and my engine ran somewhat decent. not terrible but bad enough to tell something was wrong. the fuel sync was 13 degrees advanced. i would check that before throwing parts at it trying to get lucky.
Thanks for the advise,
Is that something I can check on my own? If so what do I need to do?

Old 06-07-2012, 11:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Need a scanner that can read sync value.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:57 PM
sam_priem
Veteran

^^ yea, you need a pretty fancy one too.

the ones that local auto stores carry isnt gonna cut it. you need some pretty high tech ones. the DRB II or whatever is what the chrysler dealers use but the OTC genysis, Snap-On ethos, Autel Maxidas are a few other can tools that i know can read the sync value on dodge trucks. all of which are $1500+ so unless you know someone with one, your better off finding a shop that has one of these tools or an equivalent and having them do it.

but if you can get your hands on one, all you need to do is loosen but DO NOT remove the dist. clamp. it sucks to put back in without being able to see. once you loosen the clamp a bit you just rotate the dist SLOWLY (its extremly sensitive) clockwise or counter-clockwise depending on whether the value advanced or retarded. then tighten the clamp and tweek as you tighten. the value will change as you tighten so you need to keep adjusting as you tighten. overall its about as easy as repair gets as long as you can get the tool

Old 07-18-2012, 09:13 PM
blh4645

I disconnected the battery and let the truck sit for a bit. Light never came back on, that was 2weeks ago. Yesterday I started the truck and drove it about an hour to another town. Shut the truck off and was away about an hour. Started the truck and the light came back on. Drove two miles and shut it off. Wouldnt start, cranked but wouldn't start. Got the same code 54, went and bought a crankshaft angle sensor from autozone. Went back to the truck an hour later and it started right up.
Drove it to a friends house and shut it off, wouldn't start so I change the sensor, still wouldn't start and kicked the code 54 again. An hour later it started up again.

Any ideas why it won't start when it's hot?

Thanks

Old 07-18-2012, 09:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Change the cam sensor as well. I believe that code is for cam or crank, is it not??

Electrical parts fail in funny ways..... the "hot fail" scenario is actually fairly common.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:24 PM
blh4645

I asked the guy at autozone and he said they don't have a camshaft sensor for this model. Advanced doesn't carry them either. Any suggestions on where to get one? I've also been trying to find information on the location of the sensor, is it easy to reach?

Old 07-18-2012, 10:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Both places will have them. Ask them for a pickup coil.

Quick Reply: Code 54?