2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Top 10 design issues with Magnum engine trucks

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012 | 08:48 AM
kadetklapp
Veteran

Big difference between 97- and 98+ cup holders, no?

If I had to add to the list (which I think is pretty accurate, kudos to the OP) I'd say that the steering (which is like steering a herd of cows) is complete failsauce. The steering box should outlive the truck IMO.

Old 06-11-2012 | 09:23 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Buncha mangina having nancy boys whining about friggin' cup holders in their trucks.

This is embarrassing.

Old 06-11-2012 | 10:24 AM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Buncha mangina having nancy boys whining about friggin' cup holders in their trucks.

This is embarrassing.
Lol better than complaining about lack of vanity mirrors and lights.

Old 06-11-2012 | 10:42 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

Originally Posted by QuadCabLuv
Yeah ive had 2 2001 model rams and the cup holdera work flawlessly. They will even hold a 32 oz gatorade without a problem.

Old 06-12-2012 | 06:21 AM
rumble_truck
Veteran

Originally Posted by 2x1972
Pics??
http://www.genosgarage.com/DODGE-RAM...P-HOLDER-9497/

Old 06-12-2012 | 08:14 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by RageGuy
So many complaints / issues, SO I am curious...Why do you all Own your truck if so much sucks with them....?
well for many I guess its the same reason we are in the older second gen section of the forums..... money and lack thereof is a player for some.... some were given the trucks as handmedowns and some are just glutens for punishment.... then there are those who dont seem to have any issues... but ironically enough they dont hang around here long.... either reading here makes them realize they do or they cant take the negativity....

Then there's the fact that many of the owners of these trucks here are younger and are beating on them pretty hard... They do things like improve the engines ability to suck air and drink fuel and then complain about gas mileage? or stick on oversized tires and complain about power... They are still learning and the truck takes most of the punishment...

all that said I agree with most of the stuff in the initial post.... had some of it happen more than once myself...as well as the bad steering...

I bought the glowshift center consol cupholders for my 96 (ebay).... they work great compared to stock which doesnt work at all now that the foam is old and soft.

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 06-12-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-12-2012 | 08:23 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by Darren270
There must be something wrong with mine then. No matter what I put in the cup holder, take a turn at normal speeds and without fail, there it goes falling to the floor, spilling your drink everywhere.

It's gotten to the point that, whenever I stop at say a fast food joint, I just hold the cup with one hand and steer with the other.
us 97 and older guys have different dashboards and cupholders.... they worked for about 3 years until the foam broke down inside them and now they only work while parked... thats why I bought the glowshift one from fleabay...

Old 06-12-2012 | 08:26 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I notice that the folks that like theirs, have 98 and newer trucks, the folks that DON'T like theirs, have 97 and older.... mainly because the cupholders moved in 98 down to the lower dash, and was a MUCH better design. I have a 96, and my cup holders are pretty much useless.... unless, the major design goal there was to make sure the t-case lever was liberally lubricated with my COFFEE!

You realize, that when you die, you are held upside down in a vat, filled with the coffee you wasted in life. If you drown, you go to hell.
Ditto, But we get the advantage of being less likely to have our dashboards implode just for looking at them wrong which all the 98 and up 2nd gens seem to have issues with..... no cracks in my 96 good trade off if you ask me...

Old 06-12-2012 | 08:55 AM
Ham Bone
Champion

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
Ditto, But we get the advantage of being less likely to have our dashboards implode just for looking at them wrong which all the 98 and up 2nd gens seem to have issues with..... no cracks in my 96 good trade off if you ask me...
I'd rather have awesome cup holders to be honest.

Old 06-12-2012 | 04:12 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
I'd rather have awesome cup holders to be honest.
its a truck not a couch or recliner...

I have both in my 96.... as well as two molded in cell holders just cost me $60 extra...

Quick Reply: Top 10 design issues with Magnum engine trucks