2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

high idle not iac

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 10:31 PM
pokskip
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
OK. Either didn't touch pintle------or did------I am confused here. Did you remove the TB and clean the IAC port out real good? If not, try that....

Unplugging a sensor while running (and PCM is attempting to communicate with said sensor) cannot be helpful. PCM can lose its mind...

How did you test for vacuum leaks? Check the small plastic tubing that goes into the firewall very closely. These get brittle and are not obvious when they break back there in the dark and out of sight.

sorry about the confusion i didnt touch the pintle untill today. it was installed for 2 days before i touched it. was seeing if the computer was actually moving it and it is. and yes i cleaned everything real well used a full can of throttle cleaner and qtips in every possible crevis in it.

i used a break bleeder and hooked it onto all the hoses they all held 60 psi with no drop.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:56 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the small plastic tubing that goes into the firewall very closely. You will have to crawl up on the engine, remove air celaner, and follow that rascal back to the firewall.

Do you have "wild vents" on with AC running?

Do you have a vacuum gauge that you can connect to intake and see how much vacuum you are pulling at tidle?

Old 06-14-2012, 07:10 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

a fast and easy test for vac leak is to temporarily cap off all vac hoses at the manifold. there's 3 or 4 of them, including brake booster, pcv, and a couple of little ones.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:56 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
a fast and easy test for vac leak is to temporarily cap off all vac hoses at the manifold. there's 3 or 4 of them, including brake booster, pcv, and a couple of little ones.
+1 Exactly what I was gonna say..

Old 06-14-2012, 07:36 PM
pokskip

Plugged all hoses ran the same. No wild vents. Used a actual guage this time was at 18 inches or 48 psi.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

that's about where it's supposed to be. Got a volt meter? Verify the TPS is working correctly. (Less than 1 volt at idle, greater than 3.5 at WOT)

Old 06-14-2012, 09:07 PM
pokskip

Yup volts are all good. This is the strangest thing ever.

Quick Reply: high idle not iac