2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tsb re route have you&do I

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 12:38 AM
cutthroatxxx
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tsb re route have you&do I

So just wondering has anybody done the tsb plug wire re route&if so any good results?I've done a search&got a little info but not much.just wondering because I'm doing my valve covers cap and rotor I am thinking about doing it but just do not have all of the stock clips so if it's worth it I'll take the time to get it done but if it's pointless then I won't

Old 06-14-2012, 12:57 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wire routing is important and will become more so as wires age. Get regular clips from local parts store. Maiint hing, kee[ coil wire from crossing plug wires, and plug wires from crossing each other. I was missing factory wire looms also.

And mkae sure you get rotor snapped into place correctly, as if it is not down all the way, it will wreck out rotor and cap. Also, do NOT turn distributor.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:15 AM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I never did the TSB, but then I have an '01. I think the TSB was for earlier years (dont remember). Whether it matters or not I dont know. Also I got Summits tune up kit. Has 8mm wires I believe and no problems as far as I can tell.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:49 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 97; did it.. seen no difference; maybe because I run really good quality wires.. I bet that TSB prolly helps for the cheap house brand plug wires. ??

Old 06-14-2012, 11:11 AM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

I've got good wires.Anybody know of the tsb pertains to 94-95

Old 06-14-2012, 11:52 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Theres really not much of difference in expensive wires or cheap wires. I did a science project on it in governors school.

Unless you get the ultra expensive copper core wires there's literally no difference between two different brand of wires with the same insulation thickness

The cheap wires would actually cause less interference because of slightly higher resistance

Old 06-14-2012, 12:34 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thats where a lot of people make the mistake. A 7mm wire vs a 8mm wire, the only difference is in the insulation thickness.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:43 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by cutthroatxxx
So just wondering has anybody done the tsb plug wire re route&if so any good results?I've done a search&got a little info but not much.just wondering because I'm doing my valve covers cap and rotor I am thinking about doing it but just do not have all of the stock clips so if it's worth it I'll take the time to get it done but if it's pointless then I won't
What exactly is it you are looking for? Your doing the VC's , so why would you feel the need to question the TSB? If you have or want to eliminate the possibility of cross fire no matter what brand of wires you use, just do it! Jeez

Originally Posted by jondakotaguy
I have a 97; did it.. seen no difference; maybe because I run really good quality wires.. I bet that TSB prolly helps for the cheap house brand plug wires. ??
There is no difference is correct, unless the wires are old bad/and/or cheap crap. And you have a misfire. So why wouldn't the OP just do it?

Old 06-14-2012, 03:06 PM
99ram360sport
Professional

I put brand new Taylor 8.2 mm spark plug wires on my truck to help eliminate spark knock. I just ran them any which way and then took the truck for a drive they did help reduce the spark knock but not as much as I hoped.

I then ran the wires as per the tsb which was a b$@:& took it for a drive and the spark knock was drastically reduced, almost to the point of being gone.

Quick Reply: tsb re route have you&do I