2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 11:01 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Oil Leak

Well guys I was looking at the inner fender on the driver's side, one of the clip's isn't holding and I rub the plastic every time I full lock to the right, very annoying.

Anyway while I was there I noticed an oil leak. Got some pictures, sorry for quality, there were taken with my dumbphone....

There seems to be a steady leak at the bottom of the timing cover, 3rd picture is the oil on the cross member and the sway bar...

It's a new leak, was not leaking when I replaced the water pump roughly a month ago. Truck is currently about 1 qt low on oil.

The seal looks fine, not hard or brittle, still soft and rubbery, not missing any pieces. When we did the timing chain the cover got a new seal and we put a new front main seal on too.... No problems till now.

And just because it's a PITA I also noticed ANOTHER transmission fluid leak

There is fluid pooling on the bolt in the 2nd picture and that's were the majority of the fluid is.

This is also a new leak, didn't check fluid level, haven't gone anywhere yet to for it to get properly warmed...

The leak this time is on the passenger side and before it was the missing O ring on the OD/TCC Solenoid Assembly on the driver side...

I noticed a bit of dirty oil on the dust cover a few months ago, suspected a weeping rear main which I think may account for some of the crap on the pan besides the tranny fluid....

I think it's haunted.

I don't recall having any of these leaks in the recent weeks, the truck sat all week before last, from Sunday afternoon till Friday, since I was using the van for work.

Any thoughts on the oil leak? As I said everything from the outside looks ok, it will suck to have to tear back into it...

I've dropped that stupid transmission pan 3 times already, maybe it's just a loose bolt.... I can dream can't I?

Last edited by stewie01; 06-15-2012 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Used wrong word
Old 06-15-2012, 11:25 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

For the front of the engine, clean things off really well, drive it a bit, and see where the fresh oil is. Looks kinda like the front main.... which should be easy to change by just taking off the HB.

For the trans leak, looks like the gasket it pushed out there? Over torque the bolts perhaps?

Old 06-15-2012, 11:37 AM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
For the front of the engine, clean things off really well, drive it a bit, and see where the fresh oil is. Looks kinda like the front main.... which should be easy to change by just taking off the HB.

For the trans leak, looks like the gasket it pushed out there? Over torque the bolts perhaps?
You can take the HB off without removing everything else? Wonder why it would go bad in such a short amount of time.... Oh well...

Over torque on the transmission bolts is possible, Can I loosen the bolt and try to push the gasket back in a bit and re-torque to 13ft lbs?

Old 06-15-2012, 11:41 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Did you lube the seal up good when you installed it? (they get offended if you don't....) When you have it off again, (should that become necessary) see if there is a groove worn in the sealing surface on the HB.

You might be able to get away with that.... (trans pan) but, I wouldn't hold my breath. Sure can't hurt to try.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:46 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If the crank has a oil seal grove in it, you might need to install a speede-sleeve on the crank to stop the leak.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:48 AM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Did you lube the seal up good when you installed it? (they get offended if you don't....) When you have it off again, (should that become necessary) see if there is a groove worn in the sealing surface on the HB.

You might be able to get away with that.... (trans pan) but, I wouldn't hold my breath. Sure can't hurt to try.
If I remember right I *think* I used a bit of old oil and a rubber mallet to put in the new seal.

It went in fine, nice and even. There was a "ring" or a "lip" on the inside of the hole for the seal so it wouldn't go perfectly flat against the cover, I assumed that had to be normal... The old seal wasn't "leaking, we just put in new one since we had it off....

Last edited by stewie01; 06-15-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:56 AM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by merc225hp
If the crank has a oil seal grove in it, you might need to install a speede-sleeve on the crank to stop the leak.
Please excuse the ignorance but what do you mean by oil seal groove?

Old 06-15-2012, 12:04 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Brain fart on my end sorry, it should have said HB not crank-shaft.

Believe it or not a seal will cut a grove in the HB, over time that is, If it has done so the seal will not be able to do it's job as its past the lips reach to seal properly to the HB.

Last edited by merc225hp; 06-15-2012 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Change crank to HB, brain fart.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:23 PM
stewie01
Legend

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Brain fart on my end sorry, it should have said HB not crank-shaft.

Believe it or not a seal will cut a grove in the HB, over time that is, If it has done so the seal will not be able to do it's job as its past the lips reach to seal properly to the HB.
Ah. Ok. I'll have to look when I pull it to inspect the front main seal. I don't recall seeing any issue's when we replaced the seal the first time.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:23 PM
BamaRam97
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to be putting the same seal in this weekend. I suppose you drive the seal flush with the timing cover and then mount the HB all the way back just short of contacting the cover? is this correct? Maybe just mark where the HB was before I take it off?

Quick Reply: New Oil Leak