2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What is missing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 01:39 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

It's easy and not a problem to block off the EGR and plug the tubes. Problem is, there is nothing you can do about the CEL. I say replace it like it is suppose to be. Unless of course you like seeing the CEL.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:52 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ I hate the idea of running burnt dirty exhaust gasses through the motor repeatedly. I would have already done this if I knew how to block the exhaust manifold.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:03 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Like I said, if you don't mind the CEL, it's easy. And there is threads related to blocking it off. Nothing can be done about the CEL though.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:47 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

It throws a code once in a blue moon as it is. Not super worried about it, if my motor is running healthier for it

Old 06-25-2012, 07:17 PM
Gord.
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I rechecked the codes today and I was wrong about which code I was getting. I have a code 32 for egr system failure, not for taking too long to warm up, and I also have a code 12 for "Direct battery input to PCM was disconnected within the last 50 key-on cycles (normal)" which I find a little odd since I haven't disconnected the battery recently. I was getting the egr code even before I eliminated it because it was clogged up.

Originally Posted by 2x1972
I hate the idea of running burnt dirty exhaust gasses through the motor repeatedly. I would have already done this if I knew how to block the exhaust manifold.
^^ This is the biggest reason that I wanted to eliminate the egr in the first place. Once you take a good look at the system it really is easy to eliminate the egr. The 96s had a factory block off plate on the intake, which was easy to figure out, and the exhaust side I believe is held on with two bolts so that is pretty easy to block off. I only plugged one vacuum line, and removed the rest.
Gord.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:44 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2x1972
It throws a code once in a blue moon as it is. Not super worried about it, if my motor is running healthier for it
Mine never ran quite right with the EGR deleted on the stock PCM, every once in a while I'd get a nice backfire through the intake. If it's tuned to expect EGR, it's not gonna run quite right when it's gone, just some food for thought.

But now with MS it's not a problem

Old 06-25-2012, 10:42 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by Gord.
Well I rechecked the codes today and I was wrong about which code I was getting. I have a code 32 for egr system failure, not for taking too long to warm up, and I also have a code 12 for "Direct battery input to PCM was disconnected within the last 50 key-on cycles (normal)" which I find a little odd since I haven't disconnected the battery recently. I was getting the egr code even before I eliminated it because it was clogged up.

^^ This is the biggest reason that I wanted to eliminate the egr in the first place. Once you take a good look at the system it really is easy to eliminate the egr. The 96s had a factory block off plate on the intake, which was easy to figure out, and the exhaust side I believe is held on with two bolts so that is pretty easy to block off. I only plugged one vacuum line, and removed the rest.
Gord.
Thanks for the help! I probably won't get around to this (or much else with the truck) until late august at the earliest, since my fiance is coming down to visit me in 2 weeks

Originally Posted by Hahns5.2
Mine never ran quite right with the EGR deleted on the stock PCM, every once in a while I'd get a nice backfire through the intake. If it's tuned to expect EGR, it's not gonna run quite right when it's gone, just some food for thought.

But now with MS it's not a problem
Hahns, you know I want to It all comes down to money... and it probably will not happen for a good while because of that. Anyway, thanks for the pointers.

Quick Reply: What is missing?