2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ac not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 12:08 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pull the connector to the clutch. 2 wire. Use ohm meter ans see how many ohms you get. If it is open (infinity) then coil on clutch is bad. If it reads high, it is shorted. FSM has the reading, but I cannot remember and manual is on other laptop....

Old 06-26-2012, 09:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

Checking to see if you have voltage across those pins would be easier..... (engine running, A/C on.)

Old 06-26-2012, 11:39 AM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no voltage.. other plugs have voltage though...

Old 06-26-2012, 02:49 PM
john165
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by offroadjosh
tried jumping the clutch and couldnt get it to go.. dont know why.

I jumped my clutch today by hooking it up to the battery just for a second to see if it would work, and it did.

If it doesnt work that way, then you need to do what Gdstock told you to do and check the ohms and to see if it is open. I called it solenoid earlier, but I meant the same process.

So it sounds like one have more than one problem. You have to make sure you compressor will activate before you can even bother recharging and checking for leaks and fixing your wiring problems and or bad relay/fuse or switches. No need checking other things, if your compressor is bad.

Heyyou, explained the wireing for the system in the previous post, and after looking at the wiring diagram, well its too much for me. However I can better understand the diagram on newer schematics. You can download the 96 service manual here: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...e-manuals.html and look over the wiring diagram and then Heyyou could help you better since you will have the wiring diagram in front of you to understand his previous post. The diagram got me lol.

In the 95 manual, it says:

CLUTCH TEST
If the compressor clutch does not engage, verify refrigerant
charge. If no refrigerant, clutch will not engage because of low pressure switch.
If the compressor clutch still does not engage
check for battery voltage at the low pressure switch
located on the accumulator. If voltage is not detected,
refer to:
© Group 8W, Wiring Diagrams.
• The appropriate Powertrain Diagnostic Procedures
Manual for diagnostic information.
If voltage is detected at the low pressure cut-off switch, reconnect
switch. Then check for battery voltage between
the compressor clutch connector terminals. (Just like Heyyou said)
If voltage is detected, perform A/C Clutch Coil
Tests.

The manual doesnt say what to do if there isnt any voltage. But it doesnt matter anyway if compressor clutch is dead. Check the compressor clutch with ohm meter and report back even thou you jumped it without luck. The meter should verfiy that the cluth is bad. Post your readings of the clutch resistance.

Last edited by john165; 06-26-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Try swapping the horn relay, with the a/c relay.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:20 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker

Welppp checked the damn horn fuse and whaddya know... blown. tosted a new one in and it blew... used a paper clip to jumper and sparks flew...soo checked horn relay.. toasted.. new relay and new fuse=ac again!!! thanks guys!!! and why in the hell is the horn connected to my ac?

Old 06-29-2012, 10:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Welppp checked the damn horn fuse and whaddya know... blown. tosted a new one in and it blew... used a paper clip to jumper and sparks flew...soo checked horn relay.. toasted.. new relay and new fuse=ac again!!! thanks guys!!! and why in the hell is the horn connected to my ac?
If you ever find an answer to that question, please enlighten the rest of us.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:35 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If you ever find an answer to that question, please enlighten the rest of us.

I know why!!!!! No matter how hard Dodge engineering tried, they could NOT find a way to tie it to the plenum!

Old 06-30-2012, 09:47 PM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker

no **** lol. although... went and looked at a 1998 1500 chevy ext cab. 92,000miles for 5900 bucks... very nice shape... but couldnt pull the trigger. i love my truck to much.. no way i can sell her. im actually looking at other trucks and keeping mine. or a car and keep mine... dunno what to do.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:14 AM
S S0DEN
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same type of issue and finally tracked it down to a in-line filter on the passenger side fender that was clogged.

Quick Reply: Ac not working