2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 dodge ram 1500 4x4 problems with 4H

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 09:43 PM
tigersax
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok I did not have any way to see if the lines have exactly 20 psi vacum on them but I did check them and they do have a vacum on them and it swaps back and forth from 4 wheel to 2 wheel. I am guessing next is to take the vacum motor on the front drive shaft off an check it out I am really new with this and have always hated dealing with transmissions so this is double trouble for me. tomorrow i will be spending all day working on it and figureing out what i need to do from what i read in the manual it does have a light that should be indicating 4 wheel but that is also a sensor on that motor. anyway just wanted to update on it.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:56 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yep. spray the 4 cad bolts with PB-blaster and let it soak. try to avoid breaking them. THEY SNAP EASY, SO BE GENTLE AND PATIENT. spray, soak, spray, soak, spray some more....

place a catch pan under the cad. about 1 cup of oil will drain out. remove the cad motor and fork assembly. find the collar and test that it slides back and forth across the 2 axle halves to lock/unlock them.

if ok, look at the cad, and clean the probably rusty shaft. connect a vac source (engine or hand pump) to the vac motor and get success on the fork sliding back and forth.

when reassembling, be sure the fork engages the collar. test on jack stands. note how when unlocked, the front passenger tire freewheels. when engaged, the drivers side will turn backwards.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 07-09-2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:35 AM
billcart
Professional

Does the 4x4 engage? You can definitely feel it in 4lo. If it goes into 4lo then the 4x4 actuator is working. Follow the wires going from the connector on the cad. Mine had a break in the wire by the bumper. Repaired the wire and the light indicator worked again. It only displays 4x4. It does not indicate the difference between 4hi and 4lo.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:31 AM
Abu
Default oil preassure problem

Hi guys,in back again..really need Help! i got 1998 dodge ram with 5.2 on it.had a bad oil leak from intake gasket,fixed it,replaced new oil pump today,clean up the screen and change rear main seal,But it turned up to be worst,truck wont start or will start after few attempt with the gas all the way down,run really rougth,oil gause wont move stay on 0 and bad knocking sound by the passsenger side of the head! Any idea or the same situation will help

Old 07-20-2012, 09:46 AM
billcart
Professional

Originally Posted by Abu
Hi guys,in back again..really need Help! i got 1998 dodge ram with 5.2 on it.had a bad oil leak from intake gasket,fixed it,replaced new oil pump today,clean up the screen and change rear main seal,But it turned up to be worst,truck wont start or will start after few attempt with the gas all the way down,run really rougth,oil gause wont move stay on 0 and bad knocking sound by the passsenger side of the head! Any idea or the same situation will help
You really should start another thread. People are going to ask what does this have to do with 4x4 not working. Welcome to DF though.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by Abu
Did you prime the oil pump before installing it?

Did you hook up the coolant temp sensor(s) at the front of the intake?

Quick Reply: 2001 dodge ram 1500 4x4 problems with 4H