2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 360 rebuild... need piston and cam suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 09:12 AM
jlowmiller
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 360 rebuild... need piston and cam suggestions

Hey guys, I'm in the middle of a 360 rebuild. Finally got the engine pulled, and everything is out. One of the cam shaft lobes is pretty screwed up, and the heads have visible cracks on the exhaust side (I know right.. big surprise). So I'm going to be use the Monster heads from Clearwater.

So my question is this:

1. The cylinders are about 4 thousandths out of spec, so I'm planning to have them bored but I'm not sure to what size or what pistons I should use. I don't want/plan to spend tons of money in this for performance, but since I'm already there....

2. It's going to need a new cam, and I really don't want to spend the money in a custom tune.

Any and all ideas are welcome.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:18 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,199 Likes on 2,951 Posts

Have your cylinder wall thickness checked, to see just how far you can safely punch them out. There are many sizes available, but, I think .030 oversize is most common. (and therefore, cheaper.....)

As for cam/compression ratio/etc, that depends a LOT on just what it is you want to do with your truck. All those parts/specs, including valve size of your heads..... work together as a system. If you purchase your parts with a goal already in mind, (where you want your powerband) you will have a much higher likelihood of building a motor that runs good, right where you want it to.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:31 AM
jlowmiller
Rookie

I really have no idea where I want the power band at since I don't do any pulls or really a ton of heavy duty work with my truck. On the occasion I will use it to get a few ton of stone, or pull a trailer/boat.

I really just want something that will be an improvement over what I had without having to have much further custom tune work done.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:34 AM
jlowmiller
Rookie

Which really is the point in why I'm looking for recommendations.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Need to figger that one out first then.

I would suggest building for low end torque. Pick a cam that starts as low as possible, and goes up to 4500-5000 RPM. (some start at idle.... some start a bit higher, 1000RPM or so...) Keep in mind, if you are going to use the stock kegger, it is designed for low end... and will run out of steam around 4K or so. You can extend that a bit with the right cam, but, don't expect much in the higher RPM range......

For compression..... bumping a bit from stock sure won't hurt ya. Around 9 to 9.5 : 1 will still let ya run on pump gas. (though you may have to bump to mid-grade fuel to avoid ping, without a custom tune.)

Depending on the year of your truck..... (which should be in your sig, and profile as well. ) You may actually WANT at least a better than stock tune.......

Old 06-26-2012, 09:51 AM
jlowmiller
Rookie

Its never had great low end torque. Sorry, my truck is listed under my name, I'm not on here enough to actually care about my sig line.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:52 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

What YEAR is it?

Old 06-26-2012, 09:54 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What YEAR is it?

Thread title says 2001.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

That's WAY too obvious.

The 01 has the death flash. You actually WANT to get rid of that..... just by changing the tune, you can pick up a couple horseys, and 20 ft/lbs of torque.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:25 AM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That's WAY too obvious.

The 01 has the death flash. You actually WANT to get rid of that..... just by changing the tune, you can pick up a couple horseys, and 20 ft/lbs of torque.

What years have the death flash?

I'm taking notes for when I get into my two engine projects. I have a 360 on a stand that might end up a 408 for my 1998 Durango, and the 360 that's in it might get rebuild for my 1998 Ram, and I'm debating on a stock rebuild or slightly better.

Either way, if I have a death flash issue with either truck, I'll look into some tuning as well.

Quick Reply: 2001 360 rebuild... need piston and cam suggestions