2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replacing stock Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 01:37 PM
Ron Boosel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some help with replacement of stock radio and speakers

Hi im new here and i hope someone can help me out. i have a 98 ram 4x4 quad cab that has a speaker in door going out. My wife and kids couldnt live with that so for x-mas i got a new stearo deck new kicker 6x9 door speakers and 2 10 inch kicker subs w/ box and a kicker amp..My stock radio is a infinty amp system. I have read the cruchfield has a direct fit for this swap over for deck (?} yet i have read there alot of hook up problems and mostly saying front speakers not working? and i have not read anywhere that someone has replaced deck and speakers then added more. So need help on these points before i jump in on this project..1. does the cruthfield wiring kit work without haveing to hunt down amp wire to front speaker? 2. How hard will it be to swap stock 6x9 (front doors) that have the amp to new kickers? (i know i have to custom fit speakers but worried more about wiring.) I think amp and 10 inch should be easy enough to put in, but if anyone has advice ill take it. Thanks

Old 12-30-2012, 07:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Don't know about the crutchfield kit.... (but they are usually pretty good) A fair few folks that replaced speakers/head units simply ran new wires for the fronts. Other alternative would be shuffling some wiring inside the doors, to bypass the amps. Or, find some way to provide power for the amps when the stereo is on.....

Old 12-31-2012, 08:13 AM
Ron Boosel

Just opened up drivers side door and while messing with speaker amp sound was cutting in and out. I think it might be best just to bypass stock wiring all together and remove as much as i can. I have to check out if i do cut out front "amp speaker" and wiring will it cut out tweeter on pillar. I think do to the cold now, i might do as you said just install deck and wire frt. direct.. thanks for input

Old 01-01-2015, 05:29 PM
Nuerotoxic2213`
Default Finding Replacement speakers

Hello, I have a 1998 dodge ram 1500 ext cab with a 5.2L. I recently installed a 3rd party stereo deck in my truck(xmas gift). however the BT audio comes in on the front door speakers(which mine are blown). after gently removing the front door panel with a flat pry bar(because of those annoying clips), i noticed that the stock speaker itself has some sort of device attached to it. it is crescent shaped and seems to have a special bracket on the speaker that it mounts to. being that i have the door apart already(in no rush to get it back together) i was hoping to replace both components, although finding a 6x9 speaker is easy, none of them have the bracket for this component, and i am having severe trouble finding out exactly what this device is. i might as well replace both while i have the door apart. any information would be appreciated. it has the infinity system in it.

Old 01-01-2015, 06:48 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

It's an amplifier... do a search of this forum for Infinity Speakers.
There is lots of Q&A about replacing them.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:09 PM
armynurse
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another vote for Crutchfield (I've used them many times). On my 1996 1500 I had the regular stereo system (since replaced by Crutchfield) and speakers. Eventually one of the door speakers went, so I went through Crutchfield for a replacement set (nothing fancy). I couldn't believe the difference a quality (compared to the factory speakers) set of speakers made! Soon after I replaced the rear speakers too. I'm no audiophile; I just know factory speakers are generally cheap, and a decent set of aftermarket speakers alone will make a big difference in sound quality.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:00 AM
Nuerotoxic2213`

thanks for all the info, looked everything up that i could, everything seems alot more simple now. thanks alot, and happy new year.

Quick Reply: Replacing stock Stereo