2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

94 V10 auto Bogs under acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 06:30 PM
awd1990tsi
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I may have responded too quickly over the course of letting it sit about 5 minutes the pressure has dropped to 24 psi and seems to be dropped fairly quickly once I got below 30. Just in the time i've typed this it's already dropped to 20 psi

Let it sit about another 5 minutes after that, making 10 minutes total from shutting it off and the pressure was down to just about 10 psi.

Any thoughts on where to start? I guess I'll try to fabricate a new line soon here since I can't seem to find any pre-made since dodge discontinued them. So that way I can rule that out even if it isn't the culprit it'll need done soon anyways.

Last edited by awd1990tsi; 07-03-2012 at 06:59 PM. Reason: added more info.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Your pump is on its way out. It should hold pretty close to 40 PSI all the time.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:04 PM
awd1990tsi
Rookie

You really thinking its the pump even though its only got a couple hundred miles on it?

Old 07-03-2012, 11:37 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

referring back to post 7 - The IAC won't cause an issue with the throttle, just idel. But TPS can create havoc during accelleration.

+1 on fuel pump issue, but you said something about fuel line. Pump should hold pretty good pressure. Maybe a fitting on pump is not tight enough. What brand pump did you put in!

And to test the TPS, you can find the instructions in the manual in the FAQ/DIY section. Mainly it is a potentiometer. You can put an ohmeeter on the connectors and rotate slowly. The readings should change smoothly. If ther eis a dead spot or a range where the values do not change, it is bad.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:16 AM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

Also inspect all of your rubber fuel lines. I havent seen a dodge do it yet but i have seen several old chevys were the rubber fuel line would collapse and not allow proper fuel flow.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:03 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by awd1990tsi
You really thinking its the pump even though its only got a couple hundred miles on it?
The 'acceptable' range of fuel pressure for your truck is 35 to45 PSI. You are diving WELL below that. If you bought an airtex pump, I am just not surprised.

Old 07-04-2012, 10:45 AM
awd1990tsi
Rookie

Its a napa branded pump, so I don't know the original company that produced it unfortunately.

I do have an ugly rusty fuel line i'm going to replace now anyways, hopefully I can find an exact new replacement, or i'll have to make something. I can't see it leaking but it the pressure drop is so bad i've gotta try it.

Last night I did notice the pump is very quite compared to normal when it first primes after sitting, but after running for few minutes it gets to be pretty loud.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:21 AM
awd1990tsi
Rookie

Well everyone that said fuel pump I'm gonna have to say you're right. Because it got so bad today that it hardly ran at all, I couldn't hear the pump run or anything. So I kicked the bottom of the tank near the pump, and it got louder again and the truck started instantly running better. It actually ran pretty much right for a couple blocks. So I'll be dropping the tank and trying to get a the pump replaced under warranty. Thanks for all the help. If it wasn't for you guys I would have been replacing cats for alot more money.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:37 AM
awd1990tsi
Rookie

Just to update everyone since it's fixed. I just replaced the fuel pump (under warranty) and installed the new back half of the fuel line I got from the dealer for $60 (employee pricing. Gotta love my families obsession with Chrysler products.) I was just happy to hear it was still available for my Wheel base. Install on the line was a PITA but now that it's all together she runs perfectly and I can cross that off my list. Now to get the money to have the trans rebuilt since my O/D is still out, and find whatever is causing my loose steering feel.

Thanks for all the help guys. Sure glad I didn't just chop the cats like my friends were suggesting. They're all the exhaust I have on this v10 until I get some mufflers for it so I don't want to make it louder. I love my duals but I sure wish my uncle would have had them put mufflers on it when he got it done back in 94'

Quick Reply: 94 V10 auto Bogs under acceleration