2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tired of shooting and missing

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012 | 10:50 AM
monsterpaint2
|
Default Tired of shooting and missing

I have a 2000 Dodge 1500 sport 4X4 5.2 w/ 132,000 miles on 33's with 20" wheels.

Truck has no *****, Truck had a code for p1398 which is a wide range of possible problems. if you google the code it says misfire, crank sensor. I replaced plugs, wires, rotor, cap, and the crank sensor. Truck still had the code. Then a month later had a code for faulty pcm. I replaced the pcm 2 weeks ago and the codes are both gone but I still have no *****.

I previously had a f-150 on 35's with 3:55 gears and it had more ***** then this truck. So I checked the gears, If I did it correctly I have 4:11 gears.

I was told to mark the drive shaft and the tire then spin the tire twice and divide shaft rotation by tire rotation. shaft spun 8 1/4 times and tire spun twice. Divide 8.25 by 2 and u get 4.125.... Is this right??

I have checked the intake gasket by spraying brake cleaner around the seal and got nothing.

The symptoms I can recall off hand are:

No power from take off

Tranny downshifts when I stick it to the floor but it is like sticking a stick shift to the floor without downshifting... it just slowly accelerates and doesnt instantly go to a high rpm. Could this be tranny fluid and filter need to be changed??

The truck runs great just doesnt have any *****. I have 4:56's sitting at home just need the money to install... the chart calls for 4:11's for 33's to get stock ratio. I also have a cat converter ready to be installed when i have the time.

Im tired of sinking money guessing. Could it be torque converter??

Old 07-05-2012 | 10:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Check your plenum. (see the stickied thread at the top of this forum.) Blown plenum would account for a host of your problems. It creates a vacuum leak that sucks oil into the intake, fouls plugs, gives a miss, clogs the cat. Clogged cat would account for the 'no power' angle of it all. Fix the plenum FIRST. Otherwise, you will get to redo any other repairs trying to solve this issue. Need to take care of the cause first, then go after any remaining symptoms.

Old 07-05-2012 | 11:00 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Check your plenum. (see the stickied thread at the top of this forum.) Blown plenum would account for a host of your problems. It creates a vacuum leak that sucks oil into the intake, fouls plugs, gives a miss, clogs the cat. Clogged cat would account for the 'no power' angle of it all. Fix the plenum FIRST. Otherwise, you will get to redo any other repairs trying to solve this issue. Need to take care of the cause first, then go after any remaining symptoms.

Yep. The "no *****" statement is the telltale sign right there. Sounds like the OP wasted a lot of money blindly replacing parts for a misfire rather than taking the time to research the issue for a proper diagnosis.

Old 07-05-2012 | 12:58 PM
monsterpaint2
|

I was told to do the plenum but I havent gotten to it yet, I also left out the huge symptom of 8.5mpg mostly 70% hwy 30% city driving

Old 07-05-2012 | 02:26 PM
tbone360
Professional

Definitely do the plenum first it causes the whole list of your complaints. Then do the cat and front o2 sensor. I gained about 2 mpg average after fix. My cat is next on the list.

Old 07-05-2012 | 03:03 PM
monsterpaint2
|

Thanks, Ill do that this this weekend

Quick Reply: Tired of shooting and missing