2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

p0505 problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 10:21 PM
NintendoKD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reset

I agree with removing the front 02, probably a good idea. I looked into the intake and don't see any oil or crud, looks pretty clean. The battery was disconnected when cleaning the throttle body. I'll give it another go after that. give me a bit, just got back from shopping and have to pick out a movie for movie night, want to go to the drive-in and see Abraham Lincoln Vampire Slayer, and Prometheus, double feature, but radio is on the fritz on me. DANG!

Old 07-08-2012, 06:43 PM
NintendoKD
Default removing the front 02

So I removed the front 02, and decided to do a little investigating into why the stereo isn't working, namely the subs. well beyond there being a definite wiring problem"rat nest" most likely caused by cheap installation. I discovered that when I played with the remote for the amps it worked and then didn't intermittently, found the culprit, just have to discover exactly where. removed some useless wires, and the old clarion multidisc box, and cable. I also discovered that he almost burnt his truck into a pile of ash. He, at one time connected something to a toggle switch "still trying to figure out what it is" and it ran too much current, and burnt the wire, and subsequently all of the wires around it., luckily it was easily recoverable. I realize now, that I need to do a thorough investigation into, fuses, and relays, as that could be the root cause of my problem, any ideas? anyway I started her back up and have 5 codes now, but I cleared them, and they came right back, one pending, so 4 hard, and one pending, we already know that it has a p0505, and the code for a missing front 02, I'll catalogue the remaining three when I get back from my test drive. I also think I'll get some new gaskets for the TB, as I RTV'd them the last time. any ideas where I can get a good gasket for the spacer, or is it the same one as the TB?

Old 07-08-2012, 10:16 PM
NintendoKD
Default my mistake

Nope, just p0132, which is the 02 disconnected, and p0505, which I still don't know why it is on. I bought some gasket paper, and will replace the gaskets for the TB, and spacer, tonight or tomorrow. I still want to pull the headers and wrap em, but not looking forward to that, I know that there is an exhaust leak somewhere too that needs to be found and fixed, and I really hate this obnoxious exhaust he chose, I can't hear crap, if there is a problem with the engine, I'll never know till it's too late.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:37 PM
NintendoKD

p0132, p0135, p0505, drives better, but I'll know more when I swap the gasket on the TB and spacer, thanks for all the help so far, but still not done. any idea what causes excess slop in steering?

Old 07-10-2012, 03:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,295 Likes on 3,042 Posts

Worn parts. Including the steering box. Only way to find out, is to inspect.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:04 PM
NintendoKD
Default lowrider

guys got this thing slammed, I need to get her on a lift to find out.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:04 PM
NintendoKD
Default what I changed

New rear 02, plugged in, new belt, new coolant temp sensor, coolant temp sender, new map, new IAC, new TPS, new plugs, new Intake air charge sensor, wrapped the headers, replaced the manifold gaskets, and fixed known exhaust leaks. still have an issue with the p0505 code.I don't know what it could be, map made a noticeable difference, in mileage and power. still has a bouncing idle, I notice it with the A/C on, but it will still happen with the A/C off too. sometimes it is so bad, I have to hold the gas to keep it running. I have not changed the CPS yet, only sensor left I haven't changed. PITA! anyone know an easy way to do this? I am thinking more and more that there is a vac leak. I replaced the TB and spacer gaskets., cleaned up the neg- terminal. still got a p0505 code, what gives?

Old 07-16-2012, 08:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,295 Likes on 3,042 Posts

Spacer? As in: throttle body spacer?? If so, get rid of it. It isn't helping you any in any event.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:44 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you clean the IAC port out real good? Any bit of crap in there can cause this to malfunction. Also check wiring to it as well. Make sure there isn't a break in it. Also, double check for a vacuum leak. This can allow more air in and cause idle to be faster than it should and PCM is reactin to that. A good scanner will help identify the issue if you can find someone with one.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:21 AM
NintendoKD

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Spacer? As in: throttle body spacer?? If so, get rid of it. It isn't helping you any in any event.
really? never knew. Already had it on there so I didn't mess with it. does make getting the air box back on a bit of a chore, due to clearances.

Quick Reply: p0505 problems