2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

p0505 problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 10:25 AM
NintendoKD
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
Did you clean the IAC port out real good? Any bit of crap in there can cause this to malfunction. Also check wiring to it as well. Make sure there isn't a break in it. Also, double check for a vacuum leak. This can allow more air in and cause idle to be faster than it should and PCM is reactin to that. A good scanner will help identify the issue if you can find someone with one.
IAC port is immaculate, I used acetone to clean the entire throttle body, stuff is a miracle. Brand new IAC, installed to specifications on included card. Wiring is good, intermittent issue, sometimes works, sometimes don't. My money is on a vacuum leak, but how to find? I have a similar problem with my 98' ford explorer and can't find the vacuum leak to save my life.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:08 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,282 Likes on 3,029 Posts

So, disconnect all vacuum related hoses. (careful, you won't have any power assist on the brakes.....) See if it runs any better, and if the code stays gone.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:11 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NintendoKD
IAC port is immaculate, I used acetone to clean the entire throttle body, stuff is a miracle. Brand new IAC, installed to specifications on included card. Wiring is good, intermittent issue, sometimes works, sometimes don't. My money is on a vacuum leak, but how to find? I have a similar problem with my 98' ford explorer and can't find the vacuum leak to save my life.

Just curios, what brand IAC did you purchase? And was the negative battery cable disconnected when you cleaned TB and installed new IAC?

Old 07-18-2012, 10:21 AM
NintendoKD

affirmative, the neg- cable was disconnected during installation. Durajunk "duralast" brand IAC, same one that came off it. I believe that the instructions inside the box say to be sure to install with "X" clearance, which is a little over one inch if memory serves. I may just end up removing it and sendin it back to Autojunk "autozone" I'll try the vacuum trick, thanks

Old 07-18-2012, 04:46 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Replace the IAC with at least a Standard Motor Products brand. Don't screw with it like the directions say. Just install it, reconnect the negative battery cable and turn the key to the on position 10 times(without starting). The eleventh time, start it, and go from there.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:35 AM
NintendoKD
Default thanks

I will give that a shot

Old 07-22-2012, 02:31 AM
NintendoKD

Originally Posted by zman17
Replace the IAC with at least a Standard Motor Products brand. Don't screw with it like the directions say. Just install it, reconnect the negative battery cable and turn the key to the on position 10 times(without starting). The eleventh time, start it, and go from there.
ok, I did exactly that, got my replacement from autojunk, and did it right in front of the store. worked, code is gone, now to get a new single exhaust cat, to dual exhaust so the 02 code can go away.

Quick Reply: p0505 problems