2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Timing Chain Cover Gasket Replacement-now it won't run! '96 318

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 02:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

It just seems really bizarre to me that a critical sensor would pick that time to fail.... But, if you aren't getting any spark action, that DOES tend to point at the crank sensor, all else being good.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:17 PM
brad34
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ran up to Pep Boys to get a crankshaft position sensor. Old timer from the service garage asked why, so I gave him the rundown. Like everyone here, didn't think a sensor on the back of the engine should be the culprit. But coincidences do occur. He said that the same 8v line feeds 3 sensors= the camshaft position, the crankshaft position, and the O2 sensors on the catalytic converter. Also mentioned to check injector pulse when turning it over. On my way to check all of those.

Persistant in Denver

Old 07-13-2012, 05:54 PM
brad34

Well, just installed new crankshaft position sensor, and nothing. Gonna probably get it towed to a good referral Dodge guy here in town. Thanks to everyone who tried to help me out.

Brad

Old 07-18-2012, 09:48 PM
brad34

Well, good news, bad news. Had it towed to a local guy with a great reputation. He ran tests all day, all electrical is perfect. Pulled a valve cover, and viola! The camshaft isn't turning. He hasn't pulled all my handywork off yet, can't for a couple days. Could be broken chain, although didn't hear anything when turning it over. Sheared off teeth? Or worst thought, sheared the camshaft.
My questions to him were what could've I had done to cause this? He said anything short of leaving a socket in under the timing chain cover, not much. My question is, how do I know if my 318 is an interference or non-interference motor? If its and interference motor, I'm up **** creek, huh. We cranked that thing dozens of times. Bad feeling, all because I changed out 2 gaskets, not even $10 for those, and a thermostat.
Not a happy day here. Thanks again guys, great place to vent and smile at some of the threads.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Wonder if the cam bolt just came loose.... Find out soon enough I suppose.

There is some debate as to whether its a spin-free motor or not.... another member screwed up his timing, and bent valves, others have turned the engine independent of the cam, and not had trouble.... Figger out what the chain problem is all about, and take it from there.

Quick Reply: Timing Chain Cover Gasket Replacement-now it won't run! '96 318