2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

how to make an in-cab, anti-theft disconnect ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 10:30 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default how to make an in-cab, anti-theft disconnect ?

lets just suppose i lost my truck keys which had a label on the key chain with my name on it. and since my name and address is in the phone book, its pretty much an open invitation for someone to come take my truck whenever they feel like it.

the truck is an ST with manual windows and door locks, so a security system is not an easy option.

replacing ignition switch and door locks is not an easy option. I also don't think there is any way to rekey those cylinders, certainly no easy way.

i don't want to open the hood every time i drive the truck to mess with a battery disconnect. I also don't want to run any large gauge wires.

what about a simple toggle switch in a hidden location in the cab, under the dash, that would interrupt a major circuit, such as fuel pump, or ignition, or starter relay, or other?

anyone have a recommendation ?

Old 07-12-2012, 10:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Should be a yellow, 14 gauge wire coming from the ignition switch, (starter circuit) if you have an auto trans, there will be a connector, with a jumper in it, that would have been for the clutch safety switch if you had a manual trans. Switch that circuit, It's not a high draw circuit, as all it does is supply power to the control side of the starter relay.

Of course, if someone were determined, they could just do the screwdriver across the terminals of the starter to get it to crank...... but, that would require THEM opening the hood, and piddling around.

Another option would be the Light Green with Black trace wire coming out of pin 10 on connector 1 on the back side of the junction block. (fuse block in the dash) That feeds power to both ASD, and Fuel pump relays. Kill that circuit, and the truck simply will not start.

I have seen "pressure" switches, that were thin enough, that you mount them UNDER the carpet, or whatever is on the floor of your truck (so it can't be seen...) and you just step on the right spot when you want to disable/enable things.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:10 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

i like the idea of breaking the ignition switch. when the key is turned, the starter would simply not turn. lots of lights on the dash would be on. it'll instantly become a very undesirable truck. given enough time and energy, the dude might look around and find the toggle. if he does, he wins. but i think most dudes will haul *** as soon as it doesn't start.

thinking about the pro's and con's of breaking the ASD relay. starter would still turn, and thief might just crank and crank and crank.

where is that clutch connector, about where the top of the pedal would be?

Old 07-12-2012, 11:26 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a DIY thing one time and a Guy installed a magnetic switch behind his dash. He glued a magnet inside the keyless remote on his keys (which made it completely unobvious.) And he would just swipe the keyless remote across the hidden switch, activating or deactivating the main starting circuit. It was a sweet idea. Just throwing that out there

Old 07-12-2012, 11:28 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

damn, that's clever.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:29 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Originally Posted by EndIsNear
I saw a DIY thing one time and a Guy installed a magnetic switch behind his dash. He glued a magnet inside the keyless remote on his keys (which made it completely unobvious.) And he would just swipe the keyless remote across the hidden switch, activating or deactivating the main starting circuit. It was a sweet idea. Just throwing that out there

Ive seen things like that when i was over on the jeep forum

Old 07-12-2012, 11:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Clutch switch connector should be right at the top of the pedal assembly somewhere. It's a yellow wire, so, should stand out fairly well.

If you wanted to be REALLY rude..... use a single throw, dual pole switch, and have it reroute the starter circuit to the horn relay.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:31 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Clutch switch connector should be right at the top of the pedal assembly somewhere. It's a yellow wire, so, should stand out fairly well.

If you wanted to be REALLY rude..... use a single throw, dual pole switch, and have it reroute the starter circuit to the horn relay.
Lmao that's funny. And you know that person would try to start it a SECOND time lol

Old 07-12-2012, 11:50 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
i like the idea of breaking the ignition switch. when the key is turned, the starter would simply not turn. lots of lights on the dash would be on. it'll instantly become a very undesirable truck. given enough time and energy, the dude might look around and find the toggle. if he does, he wins. but i think most dudes will haul *** as soon as it doesn't start.

thinking about the pro's and con's of breaking the ASD relay. starter would still turn, and thief might just crank and crank and crank.

where is that clutch connector, about where the top of the pedal would be?
I did this a long time ago, it works like a charm and is very simple to do. The yellow wire HeyYou is talking about is next to where the throttle cable goes thru the fire wall. Simple clip the yellow wire and connect 2 wires leading to a hidden simple on/off switch and it will kill the starter circuit. In the last pic I removed the jumper switch from the mounting bracket and flipped it over in order to completely hide the connection just in case some potentially thieving bastard got nosey and started looking.

FYI..Not all year model trucks have this yellow wire setup. In the Dakotas, I know the '00 has it but it's over near the drivers side kick panel and the '01-'03 have it at the firewall. Can't speak to the other year models or the Rams.

Last edited by bwdakrt; 07-13-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:04 AM
97ram318slt
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou

How would a REALLY rude individual wire such a switch.

Quick Reply: how to make an in-cab, anti-theft disconnect ?