2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

360/5.9 Performance Mods Basics: What opens them up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 06:33 AM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 360/5.9 Performance Mods Basics: What opens them up?

Ok, just bought a 1997 Dodge Ram 4x4 Extended cab with a 360/5.9 last week. So I'm pretty happy with my 360's power other than the fact I need to change the plenum gasket and I know its got room to improve there, I've got the misfire & chugging up hills at times but other than that it runs faster than a stripper with my wallet. I'm not looking for the moon, just something to make it a little better than most 2nd Gen Rams

Basically what I want to know is what mods do these respond to well?

#1. Stock muffler was replaced prior to me owning the truck with a equal length glasspack,no idea what length exactly but piping is stock up to glasspack (That I can tell...compared it to my sisters 2000 Ram).

My dad gave me a set of Full Length headers that were on his Dodge Van back in the 70s that I plan to throw on my truck. So basically I'm going to Y-Pipe the headers into the glasspack.

#2. Can you delete the catalytic converter with no driveability/gas mileage/computer effects? (if driven nicely of course lol) I live in an area with no emissions testing so if it doesn't need it I'm getting rid of it. Honestly if it doesn't need it the converter being cut off will pay for new plugs,cap & wires and a splash of gas lol.

#3. I heard notching out the throttle body helps as well, what gains to expect here? and what to do to maximize?

#4. 180 Thermostat (dropping the temp every little bit helps!)

#5 also heard the magnum engines seem to prefer Autolite plugs instead of Champion...somebody on another forum said they were good for a few horsepower over stock.

#6 I've heard of the Kegger Mod and while it may make more peak power from what I know of this mod I'd rather keep the low end power....it is a truck after all!. What about porting? any points of interest to clean up? intake or head wise?

If anyone has any other tips I'd love to hear them!.

I'm not looking to overhaul the engine into the stratosphere, don't want to take it apart past the intake or lifters. Its a 360 that even with a leaky plenum gasket has no issues eating the tires like Rosie O'Donnell plowing thru a sandwich while shes in heat. Just looking for that little extra kick in the pants, its a great truck & engine to start with and any extra from this point on for me is just frosting on the cake!.

Goal for the truck: Casual Driver that will impress the chicks & eat comparable trucks at the stoplight with a bigger gap between my rear bumper and their front bumper

Old 07-13-2012, 08:55 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,216 Likes on 2,967 Posts

1. Muffler has pretty much zero effect on power output. The Van headers more than likely won't fit.... Biggest restriction on the exhaust is the y-pipe, where it hits the cat. Get an off-road y-pipe from Jegs, or Summit, coupled with some shortie headers and you will see some good gains. Or, longtubes, and a good y-pipe, or dual exhaust. Pacesetter makes the most widely available/cheapest long tubes for our trucks, they also make a y-pipe for them. Supposed to be direct bolt ons.

2. Yes, you can get rid of it, may need to do the non-fouler trick on the rear (post cat) O2, to prevent cat efficiency codes. (crap shoot, some folks need to, others don't have a problem.)

3. Boring the throttle body out to 50mm will help with throttle response, and mid-range/top end power. Throttle response will be the most noticeable gain. (the bore at the bottom, where the butterflies are, are already 50mm, above the blades is where you need to do the work. have a look, you will see what I mean.)

4. 180 stat will do nothing for you without supporting mods. (like, a tuner.....)

5. These engines seem to prefer copper plugs, as opposed to the expensive platinum/Iridium/Unobtainium plugs..... Champion, Autolite, A/C Delco.... don't think it matters overmuch. Lots of folks run the autolites though.....

6. Kegger mod just moves your power band up a couple hundred RPM. Given that your plenum is blown, you won't notice any low-end power loss if you do it, you will probably STILL pick up some low end grunt, simply because the engine will be running better.

In addition:

If your truck has over 100K miles, replace the timing chain and gears with a good double roller set while you are doing the plenum. (water pump too? gotta come off anyway for the timing set.)

Harland Sharp Non-adjustable 1.7 ratio roller rockers are good for a nice bump.

SCT tuner from Hemifever Tuning sure wouldn't hurt. (and would actually help you take advantage of the 180 stat.)

Old 07-13-2012, 10:20 AM
JoshSlash87
Captain

Thanks for the reply,

I've decided the most likely things I will be doing are:

#1. Throttle Body Boring

#2. Headers of some sort (weather the ones I got will work remains to be seen) along with bigger Y-pipe & possible cat delete. I noticed the biggest problem with mine from a visual standpoint is the first tube may hit the motor mount but the rest looks like it will clear the frame & 4wd and on the passengers side looks like it will be pretty much the same story with the first tube coming close to the mount.

#3. 180* Thermostat regardless of the tuner (I run about 205 degrees on my temp gauge at the moment). Needs to be changed anyway I'm guessing

#4. 8mm Plug wires & new cap/rotor & some Autolite plugs.

#5. 1.7 Roller Rockers, later on down the road.

The Kegger may still be on my list but I want to research it more before I make the leap.

Also my motor/truck has 167,000 on it. Are the timing chain/gears weak on these? These Engines as a whole seem to be the same design as the pre-1994 engines... My parents 1992 Dodge van with a 318 has 332,000 on it and never had anything done to the motor...that probably needs a plenum gasket! but it still runs great.

So between the headers,cat delete & throttle body mod should I expect a very noticable gain in power? I've seen some mixed opinions that range from 10-20hp. Or should I re-phrase it and say "will the mods make me smile & laugh like a school girl when I hit the gas"?

Last edited by JoshSlash87; 07-13-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:24 AM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Don't forget fuzzy dice!!!

The timing chain stretches out over time, so the new one will be tight and keep it all lined up more precisely. A double roller design is less likely to stretch over time, and also creates less friction on the motor. I would think if you do those 3 mods you would be able to pick up 10-20 hp.

Last edited by Wombat Ranger; 07-13-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:25 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sct is best mod then the airgap and gears !

Old 07-13-2012, 09:54 PM
JoshSlash87
Captain

The SCT sounds great, but will I need to run premium gas as a mandatory with it? if so, could I get away with running octane boost or toulene?

Old 07-13-2012, 10:26 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run an SCT with an 89 tune that Sean and I developed and am quite happy with trhe results.
Extended tweaking appears to be bringing me a 2 mpg gain with much better low end and highway power.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:38 PM
S S0DEN
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For my 360 (1999), I rebuilt it and used the Indy Heads from Summit, mine where cracked. Stock cam, Eagle rotating assembly with flat tops, B-Cool radiator, 180 tstat, ported intake, ported heads to match SLP headers, Flowmaster American Thunder cat back.

I did not want to get into programming, but that is next with a cam change, fuel injector upgrade. I may also try the throttle body bore just ensure it's flowing through all fazes of the engine correctly.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:44 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Even 87 tune removes torque management and makes a noticeable diffrence . If u want some power set on 91 or 93

I run 93 gas with 91 tune and have best power and mpg . Setting it on 93 with 93 I get 40-50 mpg less to a tank of gas

Old 07-14-2012, 06:15 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

CAI, TB spacer, fuzzy dice, and a **** load of stickers. +50hp.

lmao just messin with ya bud

The following users liked this post:
regier (09-13-2023)

Quick Reply: 360/5.9 Performance Mods Basics: What opens them up?