2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Catalytic Converter

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 05:41 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it without the non-fouler first and then if it sets DTC i will put the non-foulers on. But any clues about the sensor up front on the cat? As far as I know it is not a o2 sensor, but I could be wrong.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:44 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

i pre-cat, and one post-cat o2 sensor......

you only need the non fouler on the post-cat sensor.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:45 PM
aofarrell2
Champion

Ok. So what about merging the two exhaust pipes for straight pipe?

Old 07-26-2012, 11:48 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain

Originally Posted by techningeer
Ok. So what about merging the two exhaust pipes for straight pipe?

You should have two pipes that run into the front of the cat (one from each EM) and only one that runs out the back? Also you should also have a O2 sensor that screws into the cat (upstream) Not sure what part stores you have by you but you could pick up a transition type y-pipe (approx $25) and if they don't line up they make flex pipe kits ($10)...A
lot cheaper than $225 for a new cat..with that said the O2 sensors do have a purpose...If you haven't already, you might wanna take a peek at https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...um-thread.html My bad plenum caused #8 misfire/plug issues and a destroyed cat, to the point the truck wouldn't start even with the O2 sensor out...Good luck!!

Old 07-27-2012, 09:09 AM
BamaRam97
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the route I will be going to free up the exhuast and and not have to worry about a cat.

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...33#moreDetails

Also, if you haven't read thus far, our trucks are particular about which O2 sensors they like. The concensus here is either NTK or Denso for brands. Bosch will give you nothing but problems. The NTK one can be had on Rock Auto for around $30 plus use the discount code in the DIY forum.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:40 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you need a universal Y-pipe like this. check your sizes !!! it may or may not be 2-1//2.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-2-5-Y-Pi...36f56a&vxp=mtr

Old 07-28-2012, 10:09 AM
aofarrell2
Champion

Yes it is a 2 1/2 inch pipe. @BamaRam97 I assume that you were meaning NGK instead of NTK? that is good to know that they are picky about O2 sensors. @It's Me Patt the plenum gasket is bad and has clogged the cat and the 8th spark plug. My oil pump also just went out and i am suspicious that this has to do with the plenum gasket leak allowing more dirt into the engine. As far as parts stores I have NAPA, O'reilly and Carquest around here but I usuall use NAPA.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:38 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain

Originally Posted by techningeer
Yes it is a 2 1/2 inch pipe. @BamaRam97 I assume that you were meaning NGK instead of NTK? that is good to know that they are picky about O2 sensors. @It's Me Patt the plenum gasket is bad and has clogged the cat and the 8th spark plug. My oil pump also just went out and i am suspicious that this has to do with the plenum gasket leak allowing more dirt into the engine. As far as parts stores I have NAPA, O'reilly and Carquest around here but I usuall use NAPA.
Yeah I'm planning on installing a new oil pump soon myself ($50)...If or when you do the plenum job be sure not to go crazy cleaning the valley with powerful cleaners as it could lead to large debris getting down into the pan and clogging your new pump..I dumped a qt of oil in (with the drain plug out) just to help flush it and piece of mind..I'll do a oil/filter change at about 250mi following the plenum job too..+1 on the denso O2 sensor (I think I paid $65)..I've found napa to a bit pricey but at least you're not buying crappy parts

Old 07-28-2012, 03:43 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

rockauto has NTK or denso brand o2 sensors for less than $40. plus you can get 5% off with the discount code you can find in the general discussion section.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:23 PM
It's Me Patt
Captain

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
rockauto has NTK or denso brand o2 sensors for less than $40. plus you can get 5% off with the discount code you can find in the general discussion section.
Yup about $40...guess I wasted $25 bucks And by the way techningeer it is NTK bro..I've done a double take cause I run NGK plugs so it happens

Last edited by It's Me Patt; 07-28-2012 at 06:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Catalytic Converter