2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

radio wiring trouble

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 03:08 PM
beckman
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio wiring trouble

hi guys i have a 1998 dodge ram truck and i have a cd player im trying to install but the wiring i cant get matched up it has wires on the cd player but when hooked up with matching colors it doesnt come on any help would be greatly appreciated thank you very much

Old 07-16-2012, 03:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

Wire color is not the issue, it's what the wires DO that is important. Do you have a schematic for the cd player? OR, is anything labled on the back? Might be able to find something online if you look hard enough. Also grab the 01 service manual, so you know what wires do what on your truck. If you have the Infinity sound system, it's gonna be even more complicated.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:24 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

with the very little info you have given use i don't know what you are talking about. are you trying to install an aftermarket stereo?
this might help you
http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/DCP-Wiring.pdf

Old 07-16-2012, 09:56 PM
Ramzy
Veteran

Yep wire color on aftermarket systems has nothing in common with factory wire colors. You need to go online and download the installation instructions for the aftermarket unit you are using and like HeyYou said grab the FSM for the truck. Also a radio installation kit for your truck will make easier work of the job. First thing first disconnect the radio you installed before you start melting things.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:07 AM
ZeroZero3
Professional

google is your friend

Old 07-17-2012, 11:25 AM
brewman
Rookie

It also makes a difference if your truck had the OEM infiniti sound system. If so you also have to make sure you tie the new player's amp/remote trigger to the wire that activates the amps in the doors which drive the door speakers.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:30 PM
Vinny- collins

Hey I have a 95 Dakota and I took the old radio out because it would have its fits of not working and my buddy gave me a Chrysler fm/am cb radio I got the wiring figured out on the trucks side but I don't know what dose what on the stereos side I know the 12v+ and I found the ground but I don't know what wires out put sound

Quick Reply: radio wiring trouble