2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

wiring under dash :(

Old 07-16-2012, 08:06 PM
korecoa
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring under dash :(

alright so with my HVAC issues fixed i decided i'm going to jump into figuring out the wiring on this thing. lots of misc cut wires under the dash, these guys really did a number on it. Figured it's probably from the removal of a shotty alarm system. I was able to get continuity from the orange w/black stripe on the left in the photo to the lower contact of the Power lock fuse holder. I was also able to get continuity from the orange w/ thin black stripe to the same point. I can't find continuity between any of these wires to the upper part of the fuse holder. It looks as though the violet/ purple wires should go together as well as the orange w/black stripes. I did this and the illumination turned on as i hit the door lock button then the illumination fuse blew.

Attached Thumbnails wiring under dash :(-wiring.jpg  
Old 07-16-2012, 08:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,165 Likes on 2,919 Posts

Grab the 96 service manual from the faq section, and have a look at the wiring diagrams, and pinouts for that connector.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:59 PM
korecoa

ok so i fixed it. I took HeyYou's advice and looked up the service manual. through that i was able to verify the pin out and connections (plus they were both the same exact pattern on the insulation) connected the wires together annnnnnnnddddd still nothing. so i took the door panel off and verified voltage at the regulator. I was getting voltage but no worky. So finally while staring at the ridiculous damage to the door lock actuator area we noticed a lever..ish latch attached to the actuator. Wiggled it and boom they worked. I have a love/hate relationship with trouble shooting. you'll probably see threads as i take issues one at a time. Thank you for all your help. This is a great forum and I plan on contributing when I can.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:03 PM
korecoa

by the way, why they even cut them in the first place, i have no clue.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,165 Likes on 2,919 Posts

Yeah, I have had my truck for a couple years now, and I still haven't gone exploring into my dash to see what kind of hack job the PO did on the stereo install..... I just really don't wanna know. Yet.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:17 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I cleaned up all the wiring in mine early on. With an electrical and electronic background, it drives me nuts. Even picked up a 64 chevvy truck wiring job to help pay for my addiction.

The key on the electrical is take time, watch color coding, and make good splices/joints, and insulate approriately. Heat shrink can be your best friend.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:23 PM
korecoa

gdstock, i agree. I also work with electronics on a daily basis, among other things. Being IPC solder certified has saved my *** a few times with working on vehicles. It drives me crazy too. Like going through the speakers to see that wires were just run through the spade tabs and wrapped around themselves.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wiring under dash :(