2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Questions on a 99 1500

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 09:14 AM
woods4life
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on a 99 1500

I am getting ready to buy a 99 1500 with about 145000 mi on it from a buddy of mine. I have always owned ford in the past but wanted to try something new. I am going to lift it shortly after I buy it and was hoping for some do's and dont's on dodge trucks around this year. What are some problems these trucks have? What are some good things about them that I could use to my advantage. I am in the Army and live on post so it will be a play toy more than a daily driver. But still am going to drive it quite a bit.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Plenum goes bad. (see stickied thread)

Transmissions are weak.

Front suspension design leaves a bit to be desired. (track bar mostly)

Lifting over three inches gets expensive in a hurry. (need new control arms as well.) Not quite as bad as the IFS trucks though.......

Don't go over 35" tires on the stock axles. They simply don't hold up well to larger tires.

Not as much aftermarket support as I would like to see. There is some, but, nothing like you see for the older chevy's and fords....

Aside from the plenum, the engines are basically indestructible, the transmissions can be rebuilt to be beyond bulletproof, swapping to heavier axles is a relatively easy operation, some excellent resources for information/help available online. And then, of course, there is us. Best Dodge Truck forum on the net.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:40 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Gears,gears, gears. Did I mention gears?

Quick Reply: Questions on a 99 1500