2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake Line Ruptured

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 04:14 PM
soloflite
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Line Ruptured

Was pulling out of a shopping center and then coming to a stop when all of a sudden my brake pedal went to the floor. I got er towed home. The line ruptured on the hard line about two inches away from the left rear hose behind the gas tank.

The dealer doesn't service this line anymore, so I want to cut the line just in front of the tank and splice it and run new steal line to the back again.

What size is the line that I need? Also what type of fitting can I buy to splice and where to get it? I heard I can't use unions or compression fittings. I do have a double flaring tool.

thanks.. 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4

Old 07-19-2012, 04:40 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When mine did that I replaced it from the T by the left front wheel al the way back to the fitting in the rear axle housing.
I just got 3 pieces of made up straight line from A-Zone and unions to join them and ran it on the top of the left frame rail secured with heavy duty plastic ties and covered with neoprene gas line every place that could touch any thing else.
Less than $50.00.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

You can use the flare unions, compression fittings are a major no-no. They tend to fail under the high pressures brake system operate at.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:41 PM
soloflite
Professional

Thanks, any idea what diameter the line is? Also, what's the easiest way to flare the line that I cut that is still left on the truck?

Last edited by soloflite; 07-19-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:31 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

IIRC, the line is 3/16. I bought a roll of line and the fittings and made a new one from the "t" behind the left front wheel to the rear flex. I cant remember the thread size on the fittings though.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:50 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i would not cut and slice any lines on a truck that old. if you blew one line you will more than likely blow another when you go to bleed the brakes. brake line and fittings are cheap. i would not risk my life or the lives of others just to save $20.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:53 PM
soloflite
Professional

Originally Posted by kejobe
IIRC, the line is 3/16. I bought a roll of line and the fittings and made a new one from the "t" behind the left front wheel to the rear flex. I cant remember the thread size on the fittings though.
Thanks, I'm going to do the same, all the way from the "T" fitting behind the front left wheel. Line is so rusted, a repair in the middle would just be an accident in the near future.

anyone know the NPT fitting sizes for these? Plan on getting parts tonight and doing the install in the am.

I'm also going to replace the rubber line in the back, it looks pretty bad too. Fronts were completely done last year along w/ rotors and pads w/ fresh complete brake DOT3 flush.

I've manage to break all the lines loose, so hopefully will just have to flare a few lines and install.

Just need the NPT size of fittings. is 3/16" right for line diameter?

Old 07-19-2012, 06:55 PM
soloflite
Professional

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
i would not cut and slice any lines on a truck that old. if you blew one line you will more than likely blow another when you go to bleed the brakes. brake line and fittings are cheap. i would not risk my life or the lives of others just to save $20.
Agreed brother! will probably still need to use a splice in the middle using a union. parts stores only sell up to 8' of line, can't find the 25' foot rolls that peeps are talking about. If I can, i would prefer to do one solid line again from front to back. It will be done right, one thing I don't do is cut corners when it comes to especially brakes.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:00 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i have never heard of a 8' roll. all the local parts stores only sell 25' rolls. i have bought at least 4 rolls. they usually cost less than $20 but you can usually spend another dollar or 2 and get the stuff with special coating on it.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:19 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used 3 pieces, 5 foot, 3 foot, and a 2 foot I believe it was. Joined with unions a couple of years ago and trouble free so far.
Don't look original but it works.

Quick Reply: Brake Line Ruptured