2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

chirping/squealing from engine. not belt..?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 08:23 PM
Articulomortis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chirping/squealing from engine. not belt..?

Hi, I'm a new poster to the forum! I've been reading threads a lot for a while though, but first time poster! Sorry its a long question, just putting as much info as possible.

I have a question, (SHORT VERSION : CHIRP SOUND COMING FROM FRONT/PASSENGER SIDE. PROBABLY PULLEYS. NEW BELT. ONLY CHIRPS WHEN REVING)

I took my truck on a long drive (5hours) and it started chirping (or kinda like the sound of a large turbo sucking alot of air) it stopped after a few days, and now a month later, it came back when i drove threw a 20 feet long creek and about 1.5/2 feet deep (was going to a cabin in the woods)

It only does that sound when i rev it or accelerate when driving, it starts at around 1100rpm's. And theres somewhat of a loss of power

It seemed like it was from the pulleys. front/passenger side. it was hard to tell though.

Its not the belt, as i have a brand new belt (about a 2 months ago), and my belt tensioner was toast so i bought one at a junkyard and changed it. it all went fine.

Now, I put some belt dressing, it seemed to make it worst. now it does it on and off at idling. I went to the cabin again an hour ago and right after that creek it was worst again, but not for long? possibly water?

Should I take the belt off and wash it? how do i clean the belt? maybe it has coolant in it or something? (doubt it though). Maybe take the belt off and check all the pulleys? wash them all? I'm short on cash, so I'm quite scared.

97 dodge ram 1500 318/5.2L auto trans.

Thanks!

Old 07-21-2012, 11:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

I would take the belt off, and spin pulleys by hand, sounds like you have a bearing about to fail somewhere....

Also check that the junkyard tensioner moves freely, and has good spring tension.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:19 PM
97ram318slt
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1
Sounds like the tensioner to me

Old 07-21-2012, 11:22 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

probably tensioner assembly. get the good Gates? from Advance.

mine started chirping last winter. i removed the belt as said, spun all the pulleys. both the tensioner and idler were ringy sounding. i also noticed the belt wanted to jump off one rib on the tensioner. i didn't pay enough attention to that.

i replace the idler with a Gates from Autozone. no help. replace the tensioner pulley only (big mistake) for about $25. no help. belt still jumped off one rib and it still chirped. after a couple more rotations of the tensioner to remove the belt, the stupid tensioner bolt stripped out.

replaced the whole tensioner assembly with a Gates and it fixed it.

while you have the belt off, check all pulleys, including water pump.

Quick Reply: chirping/squealing from engine. not belt..?