2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear main engine seal

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 10:11 AM
gweisberg
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear main engine seal

I just took my 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.2L v8 to get an oil change at a shop and the mechanic told me that I need a new rear main engine seal. Not sure if that is the correct terminology, but I mean the seal between the motor and the transmission. I would like to know if someone has done this before, and also if someone could give me directions on how to do it? How long does this typically take? Also, does anyone know how much this could run me to do this at a shop? I got a quote from PepBoys for like 2000+. I think that is a bit high....

Old 08-01-2012, 10:12 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All you have to do is drop the oil pan and it's right there. 2000+ seems ridiculous

Old 08-01-2012, 10:14 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Someone is trying to make some free money..... Rear Main Seal is a two hour job. I did mine in my driveway with basic hand tools. (I was changing the oil pump anyway..... so, I was right there in any event.)

Old 08-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For two thousand that better include some high dollar hookers and some blow.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:28 AM
gweisberg
Amateur

That "seams" easy enough. See what I did there? Ha. I was told by a few transmission shops that motor would have to be removed in order to back the transmission off of the engine. Is this true? No offence to any of you guys, but have you done this exact thing before?

Old 08-01-2012, 10:34 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

No, you don't have to drop the trans.

Pull the oil pan, pull the oil pump, pull the rear main bearing cap, loosen the others, lower half of seal come out with main cap, upper half of seal you can drive out with a stiff stick.... (nothing metal please.) Push the new upper in, seat the lower, put it back together.

If you had a one piece rear main, like the chevy's, then you would have to drop the trans. We don't, so, you don't.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:34 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gweisberg
That "seams" easy enough. See what I did there? Ha. I was told by a few transmission shops that motor would have to be removed in order to back the transmission off of the engine. Is this true? No offence to any of you guys, but have you done this exact thing before?
For the rear main seal none of that is even close to necessary

Old 08-01-2012, 10:40 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Several people on this forum have replaced the rear main, myself included. If you SEARCH, you'll find plenty of threads and even a DIY write-up.

The people you are talking to are either A) looking to make bank, or B) don't know jack about these trucks, which wouldn't surprise me.

Are you certain the rear main is leaking and not the oil pan gasket?

Old 08-01-2012, 10:52 AM
gweisberg
Amateur

Yes I am sure that it is not the oil pan gasket. However, if I am taking off the oil pan, would it be a good idea to get a new gasket?

Old 08-01-2012, 11:28 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Yes I am sure that it is not the oil pan gasket. However, if I am taking off the oil pan, would it be a good idea to get a new gasket?

The gasket is made to be re-used; however, the stock gasket is rather "soft" and care is needed when reinstalling the pan in this scenario because the gasket can shift and get pinched. An oil leak can result when that happens. I know because it drove me nuts for months after I had rebuilt my engine.

Quick Reply: Rear main engine seal