2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gutless on the highway

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 11:32 AM
RageGuy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gutless on the highway

Truck is gutless in OD when out on the highway, unless I stomp on it thereby booting it down a gear out of OD.

Also, the ammount I have to push the pedal down to get it to kick out of overdrive doesent feel right...I have to nearly put it to the floor.

Any ideas?

TPS is new, Thought maybe it was that but nope.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:13 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Did this just start? If so, could be clogged cat. Unscrew the pre-cat o2 and tie it up out of the way. Drive it and see if its any better.It will be louder but thats fine for the test. If it runs better youll need to either gut or replace the cat.

If its been doing this since you got the truck or since any work has been done, the tv cable could be out of adjustment.

Also check out the plenum thread at the top of tech section. This could contribute to the problem also.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:23 PM
RageGuy
Professional

Originally Posted by kejobe
Did this just start? If so, could be clogged cat. Unscrew the pre-cat o2 and tie it up out of the way. Drive it and see if its any better.It will be louder but thats fine for the test. If it runs better youll need to either gut or replace the cat.

If its been doing this since you got the truck or since any work has been done, the tv cable could be out of adjustment.

Also check out the plenum thread at the top of tech section. This could contribute to the problem also.

Been doing it since I bought the truck, just dont take it on the highway much so it never really bothered me till now.

Cat is brand new (Sorry forgot to mention that in my signature)

Is there a document somewhere on how to adjust the TV cable? That is a delicate operation if memory serves me correctly...

My Plenum is fixed with the hughes kit.

Last edited by RageGuy; 08-01-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OD is a really weak gear designed only for fuel economy. Now you may scoff at the mention of fuel economy with these trucks but go rolling down the interstate in third gear and see what happens.

It's also only made for flat or Nearly flat roads. Its just the way the gear is

If it pulls fine once it out of OD then nothing is wrong

Old 08-01-2012, 01:22 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RageGuy
Been doing it since I bought the truck, just dont take it on the highway much so it never really bothered me till now.

Cat is brand new (Sorry forgot to mention that in my signature)

Is there a document somewhere on how to adjust the TV cable? That is a delicate operation if memory serves me correctly...

My Plenum is fixed with the hughes kit.
Here ya go click on tech info. Its in there:

http://www.bionicdodge.com

Last edited by kejobe; 08-01-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:50 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Factory adjustment for the TV cable in in this thread, https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-in-trans.html

If you want to screw around with it here is the other link. http://www.bionicdodge.com/Download/...Adjustment.pdf

I doubt it's the problem anyway. If the plenum has been fixed and you have a new cat, you might want to do a compression test to eliminate a cracked head issue. Other than that, 3:55 gears are the problem most likely.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Probably wouldn't hurt to replace the O2 sensors either....

Old 08-01-2012, 06:16 PM
DPR250R
Professional

Mine is the same way.... I have a 318.

It's fine on flat roads.... slight incline... downshift and rev. Very... very annoying.

Looking into gears or will just live with it till it is time to sell it.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Nereaga
Captain

^^^^ X2 I always pull it out of OD before the incline and all is good. I do lose some steam up BIG hills, which we have a lot of here in PA, but I'm going to be addressing the plenum come soon, we see if that helps.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:59 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some will rail on me for this but....
I did the zip tie throttle mod..
I put one zip tie on between the pedal and the end clip on the cable in the cab, and it really improved the performance. I wouldn't go more than one, but it really helped mine; I don't have to mash the gas as hard to get the truck to move.

Quick Reply: Gutless on the highway