2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

a/c only works at idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 10:03 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by QuadCabLuv
I know on mine, as long as the compressor is engaged the pressure reads about 35 psi which is supposed to be about spot on. But when you apply gas the clutch disengages the compressor and pressure spikes to the high side. It happens so quick though that I havent been able to decide which is taking place first, is the pressure spiking causing the compressor to shut off, or if its the compressor shutting off that is making the pressure spike. And if its the later then why is it kicking off?

I know on my last truck I had a issue with it staying on and i ended up putting a jumper wire on the plug coming out of the top of the dryer and that worked for a while. But I would like to fix this correctly.

It sounds like our issues are caused by the same problem. I only have a gauge to hook up to the low pressure side. I actually have a video of it posted in my thread. What would I be looking for on the high side?
I watched your video I think we have the same problem. And the high switch should cut out just under 400 psi

Old 08-05-2012, 11:05 PM
SilverSS
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would borrow a gauge set and make sure the high side pressures aren't spiking for some reason and the high side switch isn't kicking it off like it's supposed to. After that is verified you could try to bypass the high side switch and see if it works properly. Then you'd know the switch was bad. From what I've read on here you don't have to evac the system to replace the switch on these trucks. Some vehicles you do, some you don't.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:36 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker

Are you supposed to replace the freon every so often anyway? I might just replace the switch if bad and have a/c shop recharge it for me.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:57 PM
SilverSS
Captain

No it should have r134 in it and the refrigerant shouldn't need to be replaced. It just needs to be replaced if it leaks out or removed if you have work done to the system.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

High pressure switch can be.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Murphy 1112
Rookie

Where is this said high pressure switch? I'm currently trouble shooting mine. I jumped the switch, bled pressure, checked relays and fuses and all good. Cant get the compressor to engage.....wtf?

Old 08-06-2012, 05:08 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
High pressure switch can be.
It can be changed without taking out the freon? I hope!!!!!!

Old 08-06-2012, 08:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

High pressure switch is right up by the compressor. You should be able to change it without drawing down the system. (be careful anyway. I have been wrong before......)

Old 08-06-2012, 09:29 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker

Well I jumped the high switch today and it did nothing still cycled off with any rpm jump. I then jumped the cycle switch and it stayed on but the ac is only about 56 coming out the vents at 2000 rpm. It must be low on freon. I talked to the a/c shop today they told me that an a/c system in a car or truck will aways have some weep age around the seal at the compressor. He said that with it setting that the seal started to dry and when I started the a/c back up that it let just a small bit of freon to make it short cycle. Its $65 for the a/c service which they will recover all freon check for leaks and put back all freon that was in the system. Plus the cost of any freon needing to be added. So not to bad.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:57 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by BigRedRam95
Well I jumped the high switch today and it did nothing still cycled off with any rpm jump. I then jumped the cycle switch and it stayed on but the ac is only about 56 coming out the vents at 2000 rpm. It must be low on freon. I talked to the a/c shop today they told me that an a/c system in a car or truck will aways have some weep age around the seal at the compressor. He said that with it setting that the seal started to dry and when I started the a/c back up that it let just a small bit of freon to make it short cycle. Its $65 for the a/c service which they will recover all freon check for leaks and put back all freon that was in the system. Plus the cost of any freon needing to be added. So not to bad.
Thats good to hear. Which one is the cycle switch? I will jump mine and see if it works fine, if it does then I will replace the switch and try adding some more freon. A few weeks ago I thought about taking it in for a service at a A/C shop down the street from my shop, but I got to busy and now I am to tight on money. But if this heat gets any worse then I will find a way. lol

Quick Reply: a/c only works at idle