2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front Differential Leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 10:58 PM
Dodgeramsport16
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Differential Leak

I just noticed this evening that my front diff was leaking some fluid, only on the left side ( drivers side). Noticed a pretty big puddle under there, definitely gear oil... Going to get some gear oil for it tomorrow, just to keep it from getting to low and because i don't have the money to fix the leak yet.
I believe it's a front pinion seal, Any one know what I should pay to get this fixed at a shop? I know a very trusting shop close by. btw: If and where is there a fill plug on the front diff?, I appreciate It, Alec.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:01 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know on cost to repair, but if you trust the shop, give them a call. And although I have a 2wd Ram, I suspect there is a fill plug....had to get oil in there somehow! May have to scrape off crud to find it.

Last edited by gdstock; 08-08-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:21 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you don't fix it - be SURE and keep it full of oil, otherwise you'll burn up the bearings and it'll cost you a bundle.

expect about $100+ to replace the seal.
if you have an impact gun, its not too bad. without impact, its very hard to get the pinion nut off. its torqued to about 180-200 pounds.

put front on jack stands.
remove cover and drain oil.
remove drive shaft.
measure rotational resistance with small beam style torque wrench (or not).
mark the nuts location on pinion shaft and count the threads.
remove nut w/impact wrench.
remove yoke/flange.
remove seal.
install new seal. use a good quality National or SKF, not a timken.
reinstall yoke.
reinstall nut.
retorque with impact to marked position, plus a smidgen.
measure rotational resistance (or not).
clean and inspect gears, clean magnet.
clean and reinstall cover.
refill with oil

done

Old 08-07-2012, 05:09 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgeramsport16
I just noticed this evening that my front diff was leaking some fluid, only on the left side ( drivers side). Noticed a pretty big puddle under there, definitely gear oil... Going to get some gear oil for it tomorrow, just to keep it from getting to low and because i don't have the money to fix the leak yet.
I believe it's a front pinion seal, Any one know what I should pay to get this fixed at a shop? I know a very trusting shop close by. btw: If and where is there a fill plug on the front diff?, I appreciate It, Alec.
Is it leaking from right behind the wheel, or from where the driveshaft from the transfer case connects to the front yoke?

Old 08-07-2012, 11:02 PM
Dodgeramsport16
Amateur

Originally Posted by zman17
Is it leaking from right behind the wheel, or from where the driveshaft from the transfer case connects to the front yoke?
It's leaking from right behind the wheel, I ran over to the parts store( with different truck) and got some gear oil 75w90... anyway I opened up the fill plug on the diff and it was pretty low, So I added some fluid ( This Morning) Now this evening there is a decent sized puddle right under it. I don't have impact tools or the knowledge to replace the front pinion seal. I have a agreement with the dealer I bought it from witch includes that I will only have to pay for 50% parts and 50% Labor. I won't get paid till the 17th because I spent all of this paycheck on the truck. So I guess I wont be driving it till then, well unless I want to keep adding fluid for $6 a bottle... Thank you for the response.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:08 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Thats not a pinion seal leak. Axle seal is yer culprit there...

Old 08-07-2012, 11:20 PM
Dodgeramsport16
Amateur

Originally Posted by dlyter09
Thats not a pinion seal leak. Axle seal is yer culprit there...
Thank you for the clarification on that, Is that a much bigger problem ? And what should I be paying to have this fixed at a shop? Thank you.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:24 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech-article-3.html
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech-article-4.html
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech-article-5.html

you'll wish it was pinion.
the good news is that an oil leak from the axle seals sort of stabilizes when it gets low. you still need to keep it checked, just don't fill it completely up.

the bad news is that when you do fill it up, it leaks out fast, not slow like a drippy pinion.

do this - find a way to measure the diff oil, and refill it to a level about 2 inches or so BELOW the fill hole. don't fill it all the way up. see if you can find a place where the leak will LEAK SLOW, instead of fast.

plan for an expensive repair. I ran mine with leaking seals for well over a year by keeing it about 2/3 full.

be aware - if oil can leak out, then water can leak in. DONT DRIVE THRU DEEP WATER unless you plan to drain/refill the diff.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:36 AM
dlyter09
Champion

Yep. Everything dhvaughan said. Pinion seal would have been easier lol

Old 08-08-2012, 10:59 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Ive done the axle seals....not a bad job....i have a write up with pics in the diy section...its called front end diy....the seals are only $10...and i did it with no special tools in my driveway....if you do it i can help you out...ive torn apart my front end like 10 times..its a cakewalk now

Quick Reply: Front Differential Leak