2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help! On Highway and truck is throwing a CEL code

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 09:51 AM
DodgeRider1500
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help! On Highway and truck is throwing a CEL code

Hey guys, I am in the middle of moving from NorthWestern Ontario to Southern Ontario. After about 4-5 hours of driving/towing my truck started to have a jumpy RPM of about 200-300 and it started to miss. Or atleast thats what i think it sounded like. And now the check engine light is on and is giving me a Code 43. It feels like the power in the truck has vanished and I really have to run hills to make it without dropping to half the speed limit. I looked up the code but I have no idea what it means or how to fix the problem. I am getting terrible mileage now and I still have about 12 hours of driving to do. Any help would be appreciated

I have done alot of work on the truck in the last 2-3 months preparing for the move: Modded Kegger, Hughes IM kit, new exhaust/cat/ and pipes, 2 new O2 sensors, new rad and the list can go on..... It is a 97 Ram 4x4 Regular can 8 foot box. I am in desperate need of help because the more gas I burn, the bigger the whole in my wallet gets.

Thank you,
-Josh

Old 08-10-2012, 09:56 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

according to the internet, code 43 is a coil circuit fault.

here's a more dodge truck specific thread with a LOT of detail
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...code-43-a.html

short and sweet summary
In laymans terms, the voltage is too low and, the amount of time is not being met. That's what that means. Usually, it's a failing coil but, NOT ALWAYS as bad wires will also throw that out as well. I've had that happen with a new coil. Now, as to what else is causing this to occur:

- bad ignition wires

- bad plug

- bad coil / faulty coil / intermittent coil

- bad coil WIRE, faulty (leaky or open)

- low voltage to the coil on the PRIMARY side. Now, what's primary? The coil is a transformer (xfmr) and, at the input side, (the primary) is where the voltage comes in at one voltage (in this case, it's 12V) and is stepped up inside to 30-40 kV at the secondary respectively.

i'd check all plug wires, listen for a skip to maybe replace one plug, and probably replace the coil. its quick and easy and not too expensive.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 08-10-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:06 AM
DodgeRider1500
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I just ran out and checked. there was one spark plug that seemed to be abit loose, it kind of clicked when I pushed on it. Hopefully that was the problem, ill see when I get back on the road. Thank you so much for the quick response, I really appreciate it.
-Josh

Quick Reply: Help! On Highway and truck is throwing a CEL code