2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 Ram 1500 4X4 Tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 01:32 AM
dcox07
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Ram 1500 4X4 Tranny problems

So i bought a 98 dodge ram 1500 with about 161k miles on it. Tranny ran good no motor problems just needed a little love. I noticed that it had only 3 gears that worked on the tranny and when I asked why he told me that the tranny was from a 94 and the connections were different. So we changed out the tranny with a 4 speed with OD that belongs in the truck. We put it in with a new filter and new fluid and i noticed that after we got everything back together it clunks really hard when put in gear and when put in drive it acts like it is in a higher gear rather than 1st. Will only go into first if I put it in 1st. The cluniking has gotten worst in the last day and now I am worrying that it will break the drive shaft. Also there is a strange rattle coming from the dust cover and the torque converter. Any help out here need to know what to do as this is my only means of transportation.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:36 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 08-14-2012, 02:57 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dcox07
So i bought a 98 dodge ram 1500 with about 161k miles on it. Tranny ran good no motor problems just needed a little love. I noticed that it had only 3 gears that worked on the tranny and when I asked why he told me that the tranny was from a 94 and the connections were different. So we changed out the tranny with a 4 speed with OD that belongs in the truck. We put it in with a new filter and new fluid and i noticed that after we got everything back together it clunks really hard when put in gear and when put in drive it acts like it is in a higher gear rather than 1st. Will only go into first if I put it in 1st. The cluniking has gotten worst in the last day and now I am worrying that it will break the drive shaft. Also there is a strange rattle coming from the dust cover and the torque converter. Any help out here need to know what to do as this is my only means of transportation.

Sounds like transfer case or rear end to me . As far as the rattle in the inspection plate goes, it's installed wrong or the tranny is.

Quick Reply: 98 Ram 1500 4X4 Tranny problems