2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 1500 trany problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 08:28 PM
Craig Deboer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 1500 trany problem

I have a friend who is a girl. Has a 98 dodge ram magnum that is having trany problems. It has no reverse. Well go into drive just fine and drive great still. Shifts good. No slipping. But when your in reverse have nothing.
has 160k on it. Fluid is burnt but its still is red when you whip it on a white rag.
So I'm thinking its just a reverse pack or maybe a ban. Not really sure but would really love the help.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:15 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Drop the trans pan, and see what parts you find laying in it. My guess is one of the band struts fell out.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:33 PM
Craig Deboer

On. I'll try that. Are bands pretty easy to replace? And am i just stupid and can't see it or isn't there a drain plug on the trany pan

Old 08-14-2012, 11:44 PM
Jason_Dodge
Rookie

Dont know why manufactures didnt put drain plugs in tranny pans, but no. There is not. There is a pan south of the oil pan that has 14 or so bolts on it and you undo the bolts on three sides of the pan and let the fluid drain out. you then undo the rest of the bolts - a friend to help you lower the pan would be great - and then inspect the insides. Keep in mind, when you lower the pan there is still plenty of fluid in it and thats why you should have a friend help you out.

Btw, if you dont know what you are doing you should most likely have an experienced friend/mechanic help you out.

Quick Reply: 98 1500 trany problem