2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Volant CAI

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 02:33 PM
sleeper07
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volant CAI

Anyone use this?:

http://www.volant.com/edetail.asp?ID=43

It looks like it plugs into the same hole in fender as the stock which is a good thing right? Don't know much about CAI'S but did read through a lot of the threads and see there are some differing opinions but didn't see any with this particular product. I have a K&N drop-in now which is fine i guess but just wondering if this would give me any improvement. I have the 5.2.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:52 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's plenty other things you could do for 300 bucks that would be much more bang for the buck.

1.7 Harland sharp roller rockers,
SCT tuner (debatable)
If you really want to see an improvement put that money towards gears.

Where are you with tune ups?

A solid tune up would do much make than that, and be less expensive

But I don't really know much about that cai, I think someone around here uses one but idk if they like it

Old 08-14-2012, 03:05 PM
hemifever
SPONSOR

For $265 shipped on the SCT, it'll definitely be the biggest bang for the buck. The 1.7 rockers would be an awesome mod too

Old 08-14-2012, 03:22 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Spend the 300 on something else. Nothing to be gained from a CAI on these trucks except for a lighter wallet.

Go with a SCT or rockers.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:32 PM
sleeper07
Amateur

I figured as much about the CAI. Just wishful thinking that something as simple as that could give much improvement. I am stock. Engine has 123,400 mi. and has good vacuum and compression. Just acquired this truck from a family member. I did clean out the TB and do the gas pedal mod for the stretched out cable and is much better. Do not know much about tuners....trying to read as much as I can but all claim they make improvements. Rockers....OK what would that do in regards to performance? That is a big job to switch out no? I know the 3.55 gears are not great but again....big job and lots of $$$.
If someone doesn't mind.....What exactly will the SCT tuner do?

Last edited by sleeper07; 08-14-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:53 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper07
I figured as much about the CAI. Just wishful thinking that something as simple as that could give much improvement. I am stock. Engine has 123,400 mi. and has good vacuum and compression. Just acquired this truck from a family member. I did clean out the TB and do the gas pedal mod for the stretched out cable and is much better. Do not know much about tuners....trying to read as much as I can but all claim they make improvements. Rockers....OK what would that do in regards to performance? That is a big job to switch out no? I know the 3.55 gears are not great but again....big job and lots of $$$.
If someone doesn't mind.....What exactly will the SCT tuner do?
I have a Volant, but I got it for a real good price(no way I'd buy one new or buy a K&N for that matter), and it works great along with the other mods I have in my sig. Which BTW, I suggest you fill out both your sig and profile. People are replying to your thread and we don't even know what year your truck is. 400K on it? I suspect you can't even get a tuner for it. But then again, I'm just guessing.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:21 PM
sleeper07
Amateur

Went on SCT website....got some good i nfo. Thanks for the replies.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:26 PM
hemifever
SPONSOR

Be sure and check out my site if you end up wanting one. I've got some great tunes and there is no other handheld tuner avail that will produce more power

Last edited by hemifever; 08-14-2012 at 04:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Volant CAI