2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Torque Converter rarely locking

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 05:32 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Nsmitty21
I'm about 90% sure I did unhook the neg, but dont know for sure.

But, I do think I found the issue. I have had my CEL on for awhile now saying I had a vacuum leak. Which I knew since my vents werent working. I went in to have the CEL cleared and there were 2 codes. One for the vacuum leak, and on for the Torque Converter control solenoid. Has anyone ever messed with one of these?? Are they hard to replace??
What are the codes ??? The PCV valve has absolutely nothing to do with the TC. You have a vac leak yea, so maybe it ran better, but I bet one of the codes has to do with the evap system. Like a P 04_ _ something right? Still has nothing to do with with the TC.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:13 PM
Nsmitty21
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I know I figured that the vacuum leak was causing power loss as well as my vents acting odd. I thought I had the vacuum leak fixed as I replaced a few cracked hoses, but the CEL came back on the next day. The guy didnt tell me the code number when I had them cleared the other day, but I did some reading and found the key trick to retrieve the codes. So far the TC code hasn't come back but a P0455 for a large EVAP leak did, so I need to keep searching for that.
The hardest part about this is that the truck has done this since I bought it in the spring, so I don't know what normal operation is like if that makes any sense. I have driven dodges of this vintage before but I never really paid attention to the tach. I just know it moves around a lot more than my previous Chevy and my wifes Ford Expedition.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:18 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, dhvaughan has a thread about that very code, that I cant find find right now. Maybe he'll chime in, or do a search for threads with his name.

Quick Reply: Torque Converter rarely locking