2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Right side ex manifold removal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 06:30 AM
eblack
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right side ex manifold removal?

Morning everyone, new to the site. Just picked up a 96 ram 1500 with a cracked r/s manifold and I was wondering if there was a trick to getting the bolts out without breaking them off in the head? (heard some nasty stories) FYI I have been soaking them with PB blaster for the past week. Thank you for any help!!!

Ps: Hope this was the right section to post this.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:55 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to DF

For stubborn bolts/nuts I like to try and tighten the bolt before I try to remove it, it just takes a little bit of movement and then I try to back the bolt/nut out.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:32 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

theres really no easy way around it. lol other than soaking them for quite a while like you already have, just be prepared for broken bolts lol. better be prepared than to not have what you need when/if it happens. and who knows, you might luck out lol

Old 08-18-2012, 12:40 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I wouldn't even considering trying on mine without a set of torches. Worse comes to worse, grind or burn the heads off the bolts/studs. At least you'll be left with something sticking out of the head.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:01 PM
eblack
Amateur

Thank you guys, don't have access to torches but I do have a grinder. I'm going to take my time with it since its not my only ride. Let you all know what happens.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:09 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

after you spray the heads of the bolts with penetrating you should tap on them with a hammer. you don't have to hit them hard. just need to try getting the thread free and oil in. i would keep soaking them and after you take it for a long drive and get the engine up to operating temperature then try breaking them free. with the engine at operating temperature they should be easier to remove than if they are cold.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:58 PM
eblack
Amateur

Well update on the exhaust manifold, broke the 3rd and 6th bolt off. I tried drilling it for a couple days here and there with no luck so I finally got disgusted and put it back together with the broken bolts and to my surprise it doesn't leak! But I did sched an appointment with a garage to take care of it. Also broke # 4 plug off during a tune up which I come to find out it was the original champion. (119k) I'm using a magnet and a shop vac to get rid of the shavings, think maybe I'll turn it over a couple times to blow the rest out... The truck is definitely testing me....

Old 09-07-2012, 09:06 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

something i learned when replacing the plug on my 318 magnum is to use a 12 point spark plug socket. i could not get 6 point socket onto the plugs. i broke 2 plugs while changing the plugs.

Quick Reply: Right side ex manifold removal?