2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Heatercore and a/c

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012 | 10:24 AM
bba1964
|
Default Heatercore and a/c

I had a prior thread on here asking a few questions on the heatercore. Iam just about ready to do the heater core in my truck. At the same time iam thinking of totally removing the a/c unit. By totally eliminating the a/c unit and componants, will this affect my heating unit? Because if i remember right, when i used the heat the a/c compressor would kick on, is this correct, or am i imagining things? Oh, any tips would be appreciated. And i did check out the DIY. heater core replacement thread. Thanks

Old 08-22-2012 | 12:49 PM
Sooper
Captain

They two systems share the same box and the compressor runs when the heating system is used. You can run with just a heater if you want to but moisture will become an issue and it may be more difficult to defrost or defog when the air is moist.

Old 08-22-2012 | 01:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Compressor does NOT run when the vent control is set to heat only. I think.....

Old 08-22-2012 | 01:48 PM
Sooper
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Compressor does NOT run when the vent control is set to heat only. I think.....

Maybe not vent, but defrost uses the compressor for sure regardless of temperature.

Old 08-22-2012 | 01:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yep. Refrigerated air carries less moisture.... of course, when you need deFROST, I am thinkin' ALL the air is refrigerated in any event.

Old 08-22-2012 | 01:59 PM
bba1964
|

Thanks guys. So, i guess i should just keep everything intact then, and replace the a/c evap core also while iam in there, as that is probably not any good either?

Old 08-22-2012 | 02:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If you are going to be in there anyway..... Might just as well. Save you having to do it all again later.

Old 08-22-2012 | 02:03 PM
Sooper
Captain

Originally Posted by bba1964
Thanks guys. So, i guess i should just keep everything intact then, and replace the a/c evap core also while iam in there, as that is probably not any good either?

BTW, you do understand just how far you have to go into disassembling the dash to get those cores out right? Have you researched the process of basically all but removing the dash unit from the truck completely?

Old 08-22-2012 | 02:32 PM
bba1964
|

Yes, I know it is a big job. I have watched some vids on it, and read up a lot on it also. The only thing I am concerned about is that I think the a/c needs to be evacuated. And I cannot do that. Some guys have done the heater core without doing this, but if I do the evaporator core, I would imagine the refrigerant needs to be taken out?

Old 08-22-2012 | 02:40 PM
Sooper
Captain

Originally Posted by bba1964
Yes, I know it is a big job. I have watched some vids on it, and read up a lot on it also. The only thing I am concerned about is that I think the a/c needs to be evacuated. And I cannot do that. Some guys have done the heater core without doing this, but if I do the evaporator core, I would imagine the refrigerant needs to be taken out?

That is true. Assuming your A/C system still has pressure...which is actually a tad odd...LOL, you can drive to a local shop and ask them to evacuate the system for you for a small charge. It's the 'right' way to do it.

The 'wrong' way, or irresponsible way would be to just crack open a fitting and let it bleed off all the pressure.

Either way you do it, once you have everything replaced and back together just drop it off at said shop and have them vacuum and test for leaks and then fill and test for leaks.

Quick Reply: Heatercore and a/c