2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What the best heavy duty fan clutch to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 09:27 AM
billcart
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drewactual
I've got a total of $150 in my electric rig.. I'd compare it to anything out there, and it is not even a fair comparison to any mechanical fan it is so much better..

I recently replaced one of the 16" fans.. the thing finally wore out after two years.. it didn't worry me because I was smart (smug, no?) enough to use a dual setup.. I looked at the wiring as the basis, and the fans themselves as expendable.. they were a whopping $16 apiece.. Pro-line, 2750cfm, 16".. I used the same fan to replace..
Did you do a write up with parts listing and all. If not would you mind sending me a PM with the parts info. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:42 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it's straight forward, I think maybe just a list will suffice... from memory:

spool of 10ga wire.. from battery to controller
spool of 12ga wire.. from controller to fan(s)
in-line fuse block off battery; 40a
70a relay off battery south of fuse block

2 16" pro-line 2750cfm fans.. used supplied zip-rips to mount to radiator
rigged one as a pusher (front of rad) by flipping fan over and reversing polarity
mounted other fan inside rad offset from outside one.. (about a 4" overlap) note: by altering the fan to 'pushing' config, you lose some flow.. I likely only get 2400cfm or so with the pushing fan..

used a hayden adjustable controller, two channel.. one per fan..
pushed temp probe through rad just shy of halfway from bottom to top.. used a IR temp gun to get a good reading on this location..

idled engine waiting for stat to open, periodically shot IR temp gun for readings, found magic spot that held consistent 185*, turned dial on controller to come on at around 185*.. the hysteresis is about a five~six degree window.. meaning, it turns on at 185*, and responds turning 'off' around 180* again..

I RARELY see 190* on that rig..

I've wired it directly to batt, which means it runs even after shutdown, but this has NEVER been a problem.. it runs for less than a minute in any situation i've put it through..

future mod's, when the controller I have give's up the ghost: I'll put in a dakota digi controller, that provides variable speeds.. the fans will only spool up when it's really hot, and it taxes the electrical system much less than having two 12~15a draws simultaneously kick on.. I'll also grab some metal stock and make braces to mount the fans with rather than using the zip-rips..

edited to add: my rig is a second gen pretending to be a third.. my radiator is different from y'alls, but the same working foundation holds true for both..

Last edited by drewactual; 08-23-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:20 AM
billcart
Professional

Did you leave the fan shroud on or did you find a different way to mount the coolant reservoir and washer bottle?

Old 08-23-2012, 11:02 AM
drewactual
Champion

I left the shroud in place..

Old 08-23-2012, 11:11 AM
billcart
Professional

OK, Thanks for the info. I am going to try this next pay day.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:17 AM
drewactual
Champion

A couple of more things: I used flex housing, heat shrink, and soldered all connections... If you're going to do it, do it right.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:30 PM
billcart
Professional

Originally Posted by drewactual
A couple of more things: I used flex housing, heat shrink, and soldered all connections... If you're going to do it, do it right.
Always. When I do electrical I always heat shrink and solder. It's the only way.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:04 PM
SilverSS
Captain

Originally Posted by '96 Power Wagon
I have thought about dhvaughans reply. When I turn the fan by hand it feels as stiff as my other Ram truck that does not have any heating issues. I see no leaks. Is turning off the engine and watching the fan continue to rotate enough evidence that my clutch fan is getting weak?

Now, with everyone's help, I should have that AC condenser checked out. I just hate taking it in to these shops for that check-up; it will lead to a false diagnoses just for the sale. I wish I could check it myself.
If the fan has a bit of resistance when it's cold and not leaking then the fan clutch should be ok. Look and see if there's a bunch of crap in the condenser/radiator or between them- if so then clean it out. Coolant level is good? Cap holding pressure? If you have an IR temp gun verify the temp of the coolant that the gauge is showing.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:40 PM
'96 Power Wagon
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QuadCabLuv
Have you tried a cooling system flush?
that is definitely a good idea just for G.P.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:56 PM
'96 Power Wagon
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that's a solid idea just for G.P.

Quick Reply: What the best heavy duty fan clutch to buy?