2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What the best heavy duty fan clutch to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 07:16 PM
'96 Power Wagon
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What the best heavy duty fan clutch to buy?

Got my '96 dodge vicious-v-10 that is creeping past 200 when I have the AC on in heavy traffic. I recon it's time for a new fan clutch. But I was hoping someone knew of a quality fan clutch that they purchased and are completely satisfied.

Anybody help?

Old 08-22-2012, 07:53 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah electric fans.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:12 PM
'96 Power Wagon
Rookie

Originally Posted by QuadCabLuv
Yeah electric fans.
too expensive. have too much money already invested in my truck. A solid heavy duty clutch fan fits my bill

Old 08-22-2012, 09:03 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

your problem might not be fan clutch. could be radiator or too much hot air from the AC condenser core on the front.

why do you think your fan is bad. with engine off, give it a spin by hand. turning with some resistance is good. free wheeling is bad

Old 08-22-2012, 09:32 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Although pricey, nothing I have seen or heard of beats a e-fan kit from TCP. Reduce engine load, reduce load on water pump thereby increasing pump life, and provides better cooling than mechanical fan. Looking at up front cost alone is only seeing part of the picture.

I am a believer.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:41 PM
SilverSS
Captain

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
your problem might not be fan clutch. could be radiator or too much hot air from the AC condenser core on the front.

why do you think your fan is bad. with engine off, give it a spin by hand. turning with some resistance is good. free wheeling is bad
+1 make sure that's the problem. Try what dhvaughan said and also look to see if any fluid has leaked out of it. I've had good luck with fan clutches from NAPA on other vehicles. Haven't needed one for the Dodge yet.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:19 AM
'96 Power Wagon
Rookie

Originally Posted by SilverSS
+1 make sure that's the problem. Try what dhvaughan said and also look to see if any fluid has leaked out of it. I've had good luck with fan clutches from NAPA on other vehicles. Haven't needed one for the Dodge yet.
I have thought about dhvaughans reply. When I turn the fan by hand it feels as stiff as my other Ram truck that does not have any heating issues. I see no leaks. Is turning off the engine and watching the fan continue to rotate enough evidence that my clutch fan is getting weak?

Now, with everyone's help, I should have that AC condenser checked out. I just hate taking it in to these shops for that check-up; it will lead to a false diagnoses just for the sale. I wish I could check it myself.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:48 AM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

Have you tried a cooling system flush?

Old 08-23-2012, 08:48 AM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

Maybe get a slim 12" fan to mount on front of ac condensor.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:09 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a total of $150 in my electric rig.. I'd compare it to anything out there, and it is not even a fair comparison to any mechanical fan it is so much better..

I recently replaced one of the 16" fans.. the thing finally wore out after two years.. it didn't worry me because I was smart (smug, no?) enough to use a dual setup.. I looked at the wiring as the basis, and the fans themselves as expendable.. they were a whopping $16 apiece.. Pro-line, 2750cfm, 16".. I used the same fan to replace..

Quick Reply: What the best heavy duty fan clutch to buy?