2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

brake issue!! sinking pedal what is the fix?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 10:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,387 Likes on 3,127 Posts

Originally Posted by gertie240
Does anyone still use the baby food jar method? Fill a jar half full of brake fluid and insert one end of a vacuum line over the bleeder and the other end into the jar with fluid. that way no air can suck back in , only fluid can. still need two people. or go get a vacuum pump bleeder from harbour freight. not too expensive.
The trouble with that method is it allows fluid to flow in both directions. It doesn't actually force the air out......

Old 08-24-2012, 01:54 PM
jham0077
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah gertie. They actually make a "one-man bleeder". I had to buy one because I never can get help. It's a plastic squeeze bottle with some tubing, fittings, and a magnet to stick it somewhere. Put a little in the bottle, open bleeder, attach hose, and pump away.
Your right. Never thought of it like that I guess.
I can't remember. I think it's got a one-way on it to stop the sucking(would have to or it's useless). Have to look when I get home.

Last edited by jham0077; 08-24-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:42 PM
gertie240
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought one that has a hand vacuum pump on it. works pretty good. my wife doesnt like to get outside and be the pumper anymore. After I yelled at her for not telling me when the pedal was on the floor. Some times a woman can be so emotional.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:01 PM
7tcutty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i figured it out. i came the next day after the mc install.. there was hardly any brake fluid in the resivour.. found where the puddle was and traced it back to where it was leaking

i had a BAD adapter Fitting on the lower part of the proportioning valve, it did not seal correctly with the 3/16 line. and was allowing air to suck back into the system. replace that and VIOLA we have brakes!!!! pedal still a little smushy but its at my friends shop now to get new exhaust and he will adjust up the rear brakes..

thanks to all that helped me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now to figure out why the power mirrors dont work, and the bottoms of the quad doors dont latch.... figure out why the OD on/off switch dont work right..

thanks again

Quick Reply: brake issue!! sinking pedal what is the fix?