2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Custom Cup Holder

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 11:52 PM
tigersax
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Cup Holder

O.k. Well i have been thinking about it and started about four days ago on building a custome wood cup holder for my 2001 4x4 dodge ram 1500.....I am almost done and with beginners experience with wood working i wanted to share and show the progress that i have gotten down with so far. I am a Ham radio operator so in this i have added an extra for my radio to flush mount to and look nice i don't like wires all over the place. i will be also adding led's to it for night time to see where the cups go LOL. let me know what you think i am adding the first to pics tonight so that you can see the templetes

Old 08-23-2012, 11:57 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't see the pictures... Nice to know you are continuing to fix it up though man!

Old 08-23-2012, 11:59 PM
tigersax
Amateur

o.k. i have not figured out how to share pics on here yet so here is the album link to my google site

https://plus.google.com/photos/11120...81318621563153

Old 08-24-2012, 08:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Where are you going to mount it??

Old 08-24-2012, 10:05 AM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From my experience making car audio sub woofer boxes I learned that the first version is usually the practice version. I would build a box. I would take notes of what I didn't like or could do better, and I would do it again. For my first few boxes it was almost a 150% improvement and the extra effort of building it twice was well worth it.

Obviously, after making near 30 sub boxes since I was 18 I rarely have to do that anymore but it was great practice and added a lot of quality to something that is in essence on display in the car and something I was very proud to have in use.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:00 AM
tigersax
Amateur

I am mounting it where the old cup holder used to be I am putting up pics of it put together ready for the final sanding. the way that I figured out how i wanted it was by building it with cardboard and seeing how it looks. I had seen another guy on a diffrent forum build one out of wood and he covered it in that speaker carpet stuff. I am staining mine a dark cherry. the way i see it if i don't like it i can always cover it in something later. i can't justify buying a new cup holder for 160 when i can build something that is more useful to me. i do have one question though the light that was in the original cup holder how did that work where is the switch to tell it to come on and off i never saw how it worked because the cup holder was already off of the truck at that point.

same site for the pictures let me know if you can see them
https://plus.google.com/photos/11120...81318621563153

Last edited by tigersax; 08-25-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Apparently, the cupholder light is controlled by the headlight switch...... it comes on with the park lamps....

Old 08-25-2012, 10:32 AM
tigersax
Amateur

that is odd...so the light stayed on even when the holder was closed. I going to be finished up this weekend on it hopefully thanks for the reply on that it will help me to get the lights ran i will experiment with it later

Old 08-29-2012, 09:39 PM
tigersax
Amateur

ok just for an update if anyone cares LOL.....I have finished staining and sanding it today....I also found out that I am totally in love with this truck I was trying to figure out where to go through the fire wall at with my ham radio wires to the battery and found a hole with a cover already there to go through. FORD'S DON'T HAVE THAT !!!!!!!...last hole i drilled in my ranger was straight into the heater compartment that i don't even know why they did that like it was....anyway the hurricane is due to hit here tomorrow morning but by then it won't be a hurricane just massive rain. I will post pics of the finished parts and i do have the measurements if anyone want to attempt doing this. The hard part is the angle from the dash going down the tranny hump..... oh can anyone tell me if you can see the pictures that i have put on my google photos already with the link i posted thanks more later

Old 08-30-2012, 04:03 AM
heavyduty1983
Professional

Yea your pics work on your link

Quick Reply: Custom Cup Holder