2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 12:17 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, you kinda bounce it off full lock and head back, repeat.
So far in the little bit more driving I've done it seems to be ok. I'll be cautious into corners for a bit just to make sure. Now I need to straighten up my steering wheel.

AGR has been really helpful in sorting through the problems. Gave me a full set of steps to try to find the issue. One thing that I didn't do and should be a part of their install steps is to really move the pressure valve plunger before buttoning it all up.

Red-Head Steering has been really great too. They answered all of my questions and my box got to me in 2 days.

So far I'm happy with the new setup but haven't hit the trail yet. I also may need to put on a cooler for it in the future but I'll check the next time I'm on the trail.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That's awesome news Aubrey. Looks like you'll have some good tips for ppl to be on the lookout in going this route.

I just noticed, I used to live near Hampden and Broadway in Englewooooooooood! lol 2001 to 2005 and wonder if we ever saw eachother. I know ridiculous.

I'm guessing you have (and going OT here b/c your issue seems mostly resolved) but have you been up to St. Mary's Glacier area with the rig? What other places you go?

Old 09-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker

Yeah, I've replaced everything from the intermediate shaft down.

Englehoooood, yep, I'm down the road from the Goodwill.

This year has been Twin Cone, Spring Creek, Wheeler Lake, Georgia Pass. It's been a slow year since I got laid off. I blew out my steering on Wheeler Lake a few weeks after I got laid off and had to let it sit due to not wanting to spend the money on new parts. But I'm also trying to sell my house and had an offer so had to get it fixed so I could move. Then the sale fell apart.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:12 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should get a filter for that whole new setup too, just for safe measure.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:24 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I was on Sherman....near that Goodwill.

I'm going to have to look at my book as I don't know those places you went to.

Sorry to hear about the job/house thing. Hopefully its short lived.

Originally Posted by Aubrey
Yeah, I've replaced everything from the intermediate shaft down.

Englehoooood, yep, I'm down the road from the Goodwill.

This year has been Twin Cone, Spring Creek, Wheeler Lake, Georgia Pass. It's been a slow year since I got laid off. I blew out my steering on Wheeler Lake a few weeks after I got laid off and had to let it sit due to not wanting to spend the money on new parts. But I'm also trying to sell my house and had an offer so had to get it fixed so I could move. Then the sale fell apart.

Old 09-06-2012, 04:54 PM
DodgeTh1s1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

around how much did all that run you cause i am looking to do something similar

Old 09-09-2012, 10:13 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker

Did Argentine Pass today. Mild trail. The setup feels good on the interstate. On the trail it runs nice and it's got good power. Couple things though...

1. Once I have some money I'll be putting my steering stabilizer back on (gotta find the right one to fit though). I think on the trail it will take a bit more feedback out and will help smooth it out some.

2. Once I have some money I'll be putting on a cooler. It ran up to 238 today and, although a mild trail, it only cooled to 208 after getting off the trail and 10 minutes on the highway. AGR says to keep it under 200.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:18 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker

DodgeTh1s1...

AGR 807256 Jeg's $183
Red-Head $276 + core charge
Hose was from Napa (cheap considering the other items)

That was just this go around on the steering stuff. Previous to this I've been running a Borgeson intermediate shaft and 1-ton drag link and tie rod.

Quick Reply: New Power Steering