2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1999 Dodge Ram 2500 V10 Oil Gelling Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 11:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by FangsDemon
Do to the rain no real progress has been made, but with talking some people at the local auto parts store that delivers parts for our dealership, and some other people, they all more-or-less said the same thing, in sted of trying to mess w/ the V10 in the truck, it wld be better and easier to pull the Engine, and work on it out of the truck. they also suggested checking all the wiring in the engine-bay, and to make sure the front end is still solid before the motor goes back in. Is that the better option and worth the hassel or sld the motor stay in the rig?
I think you would be much better off in the long run doing so..... refreshing it some while it was out sure wouldn't hurt either.... you can make sure everything is nice and clean, and inspect parts for wear, and replace stuff that is bad. Much less likely to have problems in the longer term going that route.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:18 PM
FangsDemon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I think you would be much better off in the long run doing so..... refreshing it some while it was out sure wouldn't hurt either.... you can make sure everything is nice and clean, and inspect parts for wear, and replace stuff that is bad. Much less likely to have problems in the longer term going that route.
i kno the truck doesnt currently hav fog lights, and i wld like to add those and possibly some other things, wld it be easier to try and cut into the current wiring harness, or put a new one it?

Old 09-09-2012, 12:29 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

So it still has no oil pressure when you start it?

Old 09-09-2012, 02:05 PM
DPR250R
Professional

If the oil was changed regularly, the proper oil used and you still "gel" issues make sure your crankcase vent system is working properly.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

For the fogs, find one in the junkyard that has 'em, and take everything you need off of that one.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:42 AM
bailey49

I have a 1996 2500 2wd with 356,000 mi. I have always used Marvel Mystery Oil. Cummins has never had a bolt cracked on any major internal issues. I just use it as instructed on the bottle. Why do I use it, easy, my Dad swore by it for years. I have added some info from marvel website. And no I am not employed by Marvel in any way. My Dad started using this product in the 1930's. I am 63 yrs young now and use it in all my vehicles. Don't know about gelling issue? Might go to marvel website and ask them about it.

Can I use Marvel Mystery Oil® with diesel fuel and if so, how much do I use?

Yes, you can use MMO in diesel fuel as well as gasoline. Use the same amounts as the gasoline treatment recommendations-4ozs of MMO for every 10 gallons of fuel. However, MMO does not comply with federal low sulfur content requirements for use in model year 2007 and newer diesel motor vehicles.

How much MMO do I add to the crankcase?
Marvel recommends replacing between 10 and 25 percent of your motor oil with MMO. For example, if the crankcase capacity is 5-quarts, add 4 quarts of your favorite motor oil and one quart of Marvel Mystery Oil. If you get your oil changed at a “quick-lube” facility, bring a quart of Marvel with you and ask them to add it to your engine in lieu of one quart of traditional motor oil.

Can MMO be used with synthetic motor oils?
Yes, MMO is compatible with synthetic, semi-synthetic blends and regular types of motor oils.

Can I use MMO to replace all of my regular engine oil?
No, you cannot use MMO to replace all the oil in the crankcase. The maximum amount of MMO to be used is 25% of crankcase capacity.

Last edited by bailey49; 09-10-2012 at 08:07 AM.

Quick Reply: 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 V10 Oil Gelling Issue