2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1999 Dodge Ram 2500 V10 Oil Gelling Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 12:25 PM
FangsDemon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 V10 Oil Gelling Issue

Hey there, I am new to the Form,

I am currently working on a project Truck that i am going to buy off the owner. It is a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 with the 8.0L V10 Engine and is a 4X4 that has been lifted. the truck only has 109,500 miles and is in overal great shape.

My question(s) then would be this.

What Would cause the Oil to gell up inside the engine?
What is the easiest way to solve the issue and clean out the sludge from the oil pan? (truck has been sitting for 2 years now, but will still crank up and run)
and wat is the best oil to run in the motor to keep from having this issue again?

Thanks for any and all help!!

Side note: the Owner was running full Syn oil, had no problems, took the truck to a local dealer (that will remain nameless) to hav the oil done. then it started to have oil pressure issues (He believes they put reg or cheep oil in), then he stoped driving the truck to save the engine after it lost all oil pressure. (once the pressure droped, he turned off the truck, and went to the side of the road, then towed the truck back)

Old 09-02-2012, 12:28 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've no clue about the gelling oil. But you could use a mechanical pressure gauge to see what the oil pressure is really doing.............Unless you've already done that.....

Old 09-02-2012, 12:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Oil gelling is generally due to not changing it..... or, some contaminants getting in there.... best way to clean it out is pull the intake, drop the oil pan, and flush it all out... trouble is, if there is also gelled oil in the passages, that isn't going to come out... about the only option there is, complete disassembly of the engine, and cleaning it all out. Might just as well rebuild it at that point.....

There were also issues with some of the 8.0 liter oil pumps, and housing, but, I don't remember what years that applied to......

Old 09-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Geez. This reads like a great find considering the mileage. The 2 years of sitting most likely would cause the gel, varnishing, and buildup. Others here would have better input.

I would gather to just get some cheaper conventional oil to run through with SeaFoam, presuming you've removed as much sludge from the pan AND the oil pickup tube BEFOREHAND. Get the wix filter from Napa.

As for the issue with the dealer....that sounds really messed up. My question would be as to why the owner did not take back to dealer to remedy. I can't see conventional oil mixed with synthetic causing such an issue, but I'm not a master mechanic.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:34 PM
FangsDemon

I have not tried that, but i will keep it in mind if after cleaning everything the guage claims there is no pressure still.
(Started working on the truck about a week ago).

also he did complain to the dealer, but they claimed they did nothing wrong when he went back

Last edited by FangsDemon; 09-02-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:50 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FangsDemon
I have not tried that, but i will keep it in mind if after cleaning everything the guage claims there is no pressure still.
(Started working on the truck about a week ago).

also he did complain to the dealer, but they claimed they did nothing wrong when he went back
Dashboard gauge?

Edit: Misread your reply... I'd stick a mechanical gauge on it anyway.... Just to see what's really going on.

Last edited by stewie01; 09-02-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:38 PM
FangsDemon

Any tips or tricks that will help when pulling the oil pan, or places to double check while im going over the engine and truck?

Last edited by FangsDemon; 09-02-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

On the v-8 trucks, you don't even need to lift the engine..... Not sure if you can get away with that kind of behavior on the v-10...... be prepared for it though......

Old 09-03-2012, 02:32 PM
FangsDemon

thanks, i'll keep that in mind. im hoping that with the truck beinging lifted, it will help me to clear the front axle.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:20 AM
FangsDemon

Do to the rain no real progress has been made, but with talking some people at the local auto parts store that delivers parts for our dealership, and some other people, they all more-or-less said the same thing, in sted of trying to mess w/ the V10 in the truck, it wld be better and easier to pull the Engine, and work on it out of the truck. they also suggested checking all the wiring in the engine-bay, and to make sure the front end is still solid before the motor goes back in. Is that the better option and worth the hassel or sld the motor stay in the rig?

Quick Reply: 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 V10 Oil Gelling Issue